"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not sure where this bit:

comes from.

Bulgaria has supported Ukraine from the start and was shipping supplies through through a broker until Russian sabatours tried to blow up an ammunition factory this past June, as well as attempted attacks at ammunition depots.

In the wake of that, Bulgaria joined the European Defense Agency's ammunition collaboration and is shipping munitions directly to Ukraine.

They have also seized Russian assets, expelled Russian citizens and diplomats as well as seizing the Russian owned oil terminal in the port of Burgas.

And, as of 2022, Bulgaria was placed on Russia's list of "unfriendly nations"...

I think he's perhaps got it confused with Hungary?

Is Ukraine short on assault rifles, ammunition, boots, uniforms, communications kit, etc?

I do not know but they are definitely short on heavy weapons like aircraft, apc's and tanks and Canada is one of the few countries that has admitted providing winter uniforms. Comms kit is interesting as there have been multiple stories showing that the digital stuff can be tracked and blocked while the dumb old analog stuff will often work although the signal quality even when the signal quality is way down.

re Bulgaria feelings toward Russia

The only knowledge I have of the subject is via a few friends of mine who are Bulgarian nationals living in Bulgaria.

They have told me that Bulgaria had fairly good relations with Russia before the invasion of Ukraine - during the USSR period and after. The main problem they mentioned was Russian attempts to interfere in Bulgarian elections since the breakup of the USSR - both covertly, and overtly through proxies. The interference was bad enough that at some point they expelled the Russian diplomats, but later allowed diplomatic relations to resume.

However, since the recent invasion they have upped their scrutiny of Russia and Russian operations in their country, and are very unhappy with Russia. The reasons are several but mainly it revolves around the destabilizing effects on the regions economies, and the fears of another larger war. My friends say that most Bulgarians view Putin as an idiot for starting the war, and do not appreciate Russia interfering in Bulgarian politics. They were quite happy with Russia being an entire country away and would like to see it stay that way.

Last edited:

The Hungarian Prime Minister said Ukraine is "light years" away from being invited into the European Union (EU) in Saturday comments.

At a biannual congress for his party, Viktor Orbán said he and his government would push back against December talks on whether Ukraine should be invited to begin membership negotiations, according to The Associated Press.

"Our task will be to correct the mistaken promise to start negotiations with Ukraine, since Ukraine is now light years away from the European Union," Orbán said, according to the AP.

Orbán has threatened to withdraw support for Ukraine as it fights an ongoing war with Russia in the past, in relation to its treatment of ethnic Hungarians. He told lawmakers that he was protesting a 2017 law limiting Hungarians from speaking their language, saying Hungary wouldn't support Ukraine when it comes to international issues, "until the previous laws are restored" back in September.

Nov 19 (Reuters) - Russia launched several waves of drone attacks on Kyiv early on Sunday for the second night in row, stepping up its assaults on the Ukrainian capital after several weeks of pause, the city's military administration said.

"The enemy's UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) were launched in many groups and attacked Kyiv in waves, from different directions, at the same time constantly changing the vectors of movement along the route," Serhiy Popko, head of the Kyiv's military administration, said on the Telegram messaging app.

"That is why the air raid alerts were announced several times in the capital."

Ukraine's Air Force said its air defence systems destroyed 15 of 20 Russia-launched Shahed kamikaze drones over Kyiv, Poltava and Cherkasy regions.

There had been no initial reports of "critical damage" or casualties, Popko said earlier. He also said that close to 10 of the drones were downed over Kyiv and its outskirts.

re Bulgaria feelings toward Russia

The only knowledge I have of the subject is via a few friends of mine who are Bulgarian nationals living in Bulgaria.

They have told me that Bulgaria had fairly good relations with Russia before the invasion of Ukraine - during the USSR period and after. The main problem they mentioned was Russian attempts to interfere in Bulgarian elections since the breakup of the USSR - both covertly, and overtly through proxies. The interference was bad enough that at some point they expelled the Russian diplomats, but later allowed diplomatic relations to resume.

However, since the recent invasion they have upped their scrutiny of Russia and Russian operations in their country, and are very unhappy with Russia. The reasons are several but mainly it revolves around the destabilizing effects on the regions economies, and the fears of another larger war. My friends say that most Bulgarians view Putin as an idiot for starting the war, and do not appreciate Russia interfering in Bulgarian politics. They were quite happy with Russia being an entire country away and would like to see it stay that way.
The majority of Bulgarians, from what I've seen and heard, tolerate Russians, but have little love for them.

Russian Mafia aside, the tourists from Russia treat Bulgarians like dirt and generally look down on them. This especially holds true at resort areas and restaurants, which I've actually seen first hand, like at Sunny Beach in Nessebar and various other places.

The majority of Bulgarians, from what I've seen and heard, tolerate Russians, but have little love for them.

Russian Mafia aside, the tourists from Russia treat Bulgarians like dirt and generally look down on them. This especially holds true at resort areas and restaurants, which I've actually seen first hand, like at Sunny Beach in Nessebar and various other places.
When my wife and I were in Baden-Baden we heard similar stories about how rude Russian tourists were. At one spa they no longer allow Russians there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back