"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The RAN is well above the capability of the RCN. I ran a quick comparison via ChatGPT (so take it with bag of salt):

"Make me a comparison chart of the RCN vs the RAN"

FeatureRoyal Canadian Navy (RCN)Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
Founded19101913
HeadquartersOttawa, OntarioCanberra, Australian Capital Territory
Motto"Safer Seas, Stronger Canada""Integrity, Capability, Loyalty"
Fleet SizeApproximately 30 ships (as of 2023)Approximately 50 ships (as of 2023)
Submarines4 modern submarines (Victoria class)6 modern submarines (Collins class)
Surface Combatants12 Halifax-class frigates9 Anzac-class frigates, 3 Hobart-class destroyers
Support VesselsAuxiliary ships, replenishment shipsSupply ships, hydrographic vessels
Air ArmCH-148 Cyclone helicopters, fixed-wing supportMH-60R Seahawk, MRH-90 Taipan helicopters
Operational FocusArctic operations, anti-submarine warfareRegional security, humanitarian missions
International AlliancesNATO, Commonwealth, various coalitionsANZUS, Commonwealth, various coalitions
Major ExercisesRIMPAC, TRIDENT JUNCTURE, and othersRIMPAC, Talisman Sabre, and others
Current ChallengesAging fleet, modernization needsCapacity expansion, balancing regional threats

A quick eye will see that calling the Victoria class SSKs modern is a stretch, while the RAN is missing its Canberra-class LHDs. Damn Canada should have bought those Mistrals.

The Anzac frigates are way down on the performance of the German frigates they are licenced copies of because of the Au "improvements" and the Taipan helicopters have all been broken up and buried - instead of being given to Ukraine who wanted them and could have successfully operated them.
At 30 years old the Collins subs are like your Victoria class boats - technological dinosaurs.

The Anzac frigates are way down on the performance of the German frigates they are licenced copies of because of the Au "improvements" and the Taipan helicopters have all been broken up and buried - instead of being given to Ukraine who wanted them and could have successfully operated them.
At 30 years old the Collins subs are like your Victoria class boats - technological dinosaurs.
Our CH-148 Cyclone helicopters are apparently maintenance hogs at risk of being death traps. I wouldn't wish them upon Ukraine. I can't think of a time other than the CF-100 where Canada was the near-only other operator of a type.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back