Aluminum Overcast Visiting Central Iowa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Messy1

Master Sergeant
Nov 21, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I'm taking off early from work today to go the local airport to see the B-17 Aluminum Overcast. I hope to get some good pictures. I'll post them when I can.

Here are a few pics. Hope they are good enough quality for everyone. I was really surprised that the gentleman taking care of the plane allowed free access to go inside and look around the plane. The nose and pilot's section were roped off, but it was quite something to get inside the bomber and get a first hand look and the inner workings of the plane.
P1050843-resized.jpg
P1050889-resized.jpg
P1050898-resized.jpg
P1050885-resized.jpg
P1050900-resized.jpg
5-resized.jpg
P1050908-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent shots Messy and kudos on the free tour, way to go. They usually charge five or ten dollars to tour them. Thank you for sharing them sir.:thumbright: :cool:

Here are some additional pics. Tried to get pics of gizmos and area of the plane you do not often see. I was really surprised how small the ball turret was. Really have a ton more respect for guys who went into the ball turrets. Just looking into the open ball, I immediately felt claustrophobic.
2-resized.jpg
4-RESIZED.jpg
1-resized.jpg
5-resized.jpg
B-17 RESIZED.jpg
3-RESIZED.jpg
6-RESIZED.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back