Aluminum paint for B-17 G

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beartown550

Airman
Jan 28, 2020
Hi all
What would all you good folks advise me to use for a silver finish on a model B-17G ?

Are you going to apply the colour with a brush or an airbrush?

I plan on using a brush

So .. a brush.. Unfortunately I have to agree with the two posts above. The only kind of the coat that may be easier to brush should be the oil enamel like Humbrol , Model Master. or Revell. However the nice final effect can't be guaranteed as well.
I would suggest (as C_R did it above too ) ... please consider using of the metalic colours offered in a spray can . A B-17G model is quite large even if it is in 1/72 scale. So the kind of a paint is a good alternative. Most of manufacturers of colours for modellers offers them and there is no problem with finding any. Almost all of them are of the acrylic type today and you have to remember that the oil enamel can't be applied over the acrylic paint but the acrylic one over the enamel can.

Errm, brushing silver with a hairy stick can be tricky. I haven't done it in decades but I have bad memories. Maybe consider a rattle can?
A rattle can sounds good. I used them when I was a kid building model cars,I've been looking at modern modeling mags and books, it seems like now when someone says spray, they are talking airbrush, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rattle can sounds good. I used them when I was a kid building model cars,I've been looking at modern modeling mags and books, it seems like now when someone says spray, they are talking airbrush, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Beartown550, there are some products on the market, newer than the ubiquitous Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya paints, that will give you a realistic effect for metal surfaces. The AK Interactive True Metal is designed to be applied with brush: AK Interactive True Metal
There are also pigments (metallic) in a form of a paste that can be applied with a cloth over a primer (black) and will give you similar effects.
Check this article - it gives answers to several questions about the True Metal paints and how to use them - it's more realistic than optimistic:(. There are several reviews and "how to do it" on YouTube as well. Just check with the name AK Interactive True Metal.
Those paints are more expensive than the standard ones.

Last edited:
Beartown550, there are some products on the market, newer than the ubiquitous Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya paints, that will give you a realistic effect for metal surfaces. The AK Interactive True Metal is designed to be applied with brush: AK Interactive True Metal
There are also pigments (metallic) in a form of a paste that can be applied with a cloth over a primer (black) and will give you similar effects.
Check this article - it gives answers to several questions about the True Metal paints and how to use them - it's more realistic than optimistic:(. There are several reviews and "how to do it" on YouTube as well. Just check with the name AK Interactive True Metal.
Those paints are more expensive than the standard ones.

Thanks for this info, Catch-22. This product sounds like it would be a lot more work and time than I am willing to spend right now. Any suggestions on a good rattle can finish?

Should be good. Be sure that it's the first coat onto the plastic as you don't want to spray this stuff over another paint. Once down and dry, you can paint over it with pretty much any other types of paint - you'll need to do the olive drab anti-glare panels and these can be brushed on if that's your preference.

Should be good. Be sure that it's the first coat onto the plastic as you don't want to spray this stuff over another paint. Once down and dry, you can paint over it with pretty much any other types of paint - you'll need to do the olive drab anti-glare panels and these can be brushed on if that's your preference.
Thanks Crimea, and all the rest for your help. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

Look at the Tamiya AS range. They are specific for Aircraft. AS12 - Bare metal Silver is the one you want. I only use Tamiya spray cans for my models.
I would like another opinion from you all. I will be building the Revell B-17G in 1/48 scale, which has a very detailed interior, which no one can see. I read a review online by a gent who left out the glass on the cockpit, and one of the side windows, so folks could see at least some of the details. What do you think of doing this? To me, it sounds like a good idea.

You could also cut out one side of the fuselage....Monogram 5600 1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress Kit Build Review

1581632891884.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back