Another Black Project? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Of course, I was talking about the small remote controlled drones that can be used even in the small RC kit form to prove a plane before they progress to larger scale models. I am assuming that somewhere there are hundreds of small RC planes built at Skunk Works to see whether it was worth building a proof of concept aircraft. I thought the whole idea of a big proof of concept aircraft was that the design had been proven on a smaller scale and then they were scaling it up.

There are people right now working with tiny UAVs at LMSW in Palmdale California. It's anyone's guess how many of these are "classified" but my feeling is LMSW is going after Predator size UAVs that are a lot more capable..

I researched an article back in 2002 so I know this is further advanced now-

"Today most of the major and even not so major, aerospace companies are in development of UAVs with many contracts up for grabs. There exist today tiny insect-sized recon devices that can fly into a building via silent, sub-miniature electric motors and gather images with TV cameras the size of a fly's eye. One is even powered by a "device that converts chemical energy into reciprocating motion through a direct non-combustion chemical reaction." It uses one propellant, has no flame or visible exhaust and can operate without oxygen. This is not sci-fi, it's happening now. MAVs (Micro Aerial Vehicles) of larger size abound in number with weight measured in grams and size in the less than 6-inch range."

As for sinister big spy planes I found this theory presented a few years ago too-

"It's been pieced together that the Aurora is carried aloft by a C-5 (good idea- less visual exposure) to 35,000 feet where its huge clam-shell doors open and the ship is extended via a hoist arm as it powers up. Wing tips unfold and lock as the plane is dropped to then fly under its own power. It climbs to well over 100,000 feet by using a turbo-ramjet engine ingesting exotic methane or hydrogen fuel as it travels at 3,800 MPH to survey its designated target. Once the mission is complete the Son of Blackbird would meet up with another or the same C-5 where the boom would extend, capture would occur, the wing tips folded, and it would be swallowed up inside the massive mother ship."

Twitch said:
. It climbs to well over 100,000 feet by using a turbo-ramjet engine ingesting exotic methane or hydrogen fuel as it travels at 3,800 MPH to survey its designated target.
Sounds kind of like the scramjet, but not...
i bet that when the scramjet gets to a more refined stage, someone will seize it for the rest of the deep black projects...

johnbr said:
It was on a doc for the new F-35 Fighter.When the locheed testpilot was geting in the plane.The was on Disc channel.
I know the lockheed test pilot and could tell you that statement is BS....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back