Another Mustang Thread?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This might be my favourite photograph of Bob Hoover's N51RH. Bob never raced, but was the Pace Plane pilot at Reno for many years. After releasing the racers he would orbit above the course watching things and ready to drop down to help anybody in trouble. Once in a while he would come down during a race and fly a couple of laps of the race course. It was always a pleasure to watch -- Bob was an incredible smooth pilot in the P-51.

I have always wondered about this one, though. Bob Hoover was really slow by Reno Race standards -- never over moderate cruise power. When he joined a race it was usually a slow heat and he'd join the back and the racers would not even be aware of him. He'd look right at home with the T-28s, Wildcats, FG-1D Corsairs and other slow movers. In this picture, though, Bob is on the course in front of Dan Martin -- the only red nosed Mustang that year. Dan was a charger, and should have been 100 mph faster than Hoover.

No situation like this is recorded in any of the accounts of Reno 1980. Bob obviously did not get run over. So what is the story behind this shot?

Attachments

• R80   RA Bob 046  copy  WEB.jpg
    R80 RA Bob 046 copy WEB.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am usually not a great fan of polished metal Mustangs, but this thing was just drop dead gorgeous! Polished Mustangs work best ( (from a photography point of view) on a day with interesting clouds. The reflections and tones can be quite beautiful.

Attachments

• _D2X6189   for web copy  WEB.jpg
    _D2X6189 for web copy WEB.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 12
Lil' Margaret is about the most perfect Mustang I've ever been around. In 12 years after her groundbreaking restoration she'd only accumulated a couple of hundred hours of flight time. The owner always had other stuff to fly (another Mustang, P-47, and Corsair), and this one just sat around being perfect, I guess. The great Corsair restorer John Lane, who was flying it this day, said it's not a great pleasure to fly, compared to the lightened "sport" version Mustangs, because Lil' Margaret is heavy and draggy -- very much like a wartime bird.

The airplane was sold into Europe a couple of years ago, and the new owner promptly wrecked it trying to take off from a short wet very soggy grass strip in Britain. He said it just didn't accelerate like he expected it to, and it ran off the end of the runway at near takeoff speed with predictable results. Duh....

Attachments

• _N3N2669  WEB copy.jpg
    _N3N2669 WEB copy.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 15
  • _D2X6154 copy  WEB.jpg
    _D2X6154 copy WEB.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 11
  • _N3N2574 copy  WEB.jpg
    _N3N2574 copy WEB.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 14
  • _D2X6181 copy  WEB.jpg
    _D2X6181 copy WEB.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 7
  • _D2X6190 copy 2  web.jpg
    _D2X6190 copy 2 web.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
I remember encountering this paint scheme in magazines when I was younger, and never liking it very much. On grass, though, in hazy winter light, it looked pretty good. Mustang on green grass (rare during airshow season in California) with a P-38 turning in the background...

Attachments

• MI79  S1   copy  WEB.jpg
    MI79 S1 copy WEB.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 13
  • MI79--Dolly.jpg
    MI79--Dolly.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 13
Ah, the Mustangs of Miami...

Actually it was "The Mustangs of Homestead", since that is where the event actually took place. 22 Mustangs actually raced, plus Hoover's airplane, and at least one which was there but did not race. That is a big percentage of the less than 100 active Mustang flyers at that time.

The event was put on and financed by three brothers named Whittington. These boys had an unlimited flow of money from some "south of the border" business activities and spent a pile on this mid winter race. They put up $150,000 (1979 dollars, obviously) in prize money -- which was the largest Unlimited purse ever to this time. This brought out most of the Western racers, as well as lots of eastern birds that had never seen an air race.

It was a wonderful Mustang event!

Attachments

• Mi79-general-1-038 copy  WEB.jpg
    Mi79-general-1-038 copy WEB.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 13
There were three real Racers there -- all Mustang based -- Don Whittington in "Precious Metal", John Crocker in the lovely "Sumthin' Else", and Steve Hinton in the always impressive Griffon powered "Red Baron". They were surprisingly evenly matched and each won a heat race, with the Red Baron taking home the marbles on Sunday

Attachments

• Mi79-again-063 copy  WEB.jpg
    Mi79-again-063 copy WEB.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Miami-79img003-copy.jpg
    Miami-79img003-copy.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back