Another Newbie Q : Correct way to Navigate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jaxx

Recruit
Mar 24, 2009
Now that Im a little better at triming for straight flight, I need to understand how you guys are navigating between the waypoints.

The simple way of course is to use the map showing current position, but this is not realistic. Besides, full realism settings only allows a static map wihtout position indicator.

Now I noticed that some planes (Corsair for eg.) has an compass with directional indicator showing the direction to the next way point. This makes it easy to move sequentially between waypoints, without having to look at the map.

However, other planes like the spitfire dont have this instrument ( There is a similiar looking compass but it appears to be obscured by the control stick. )

So my questions :
Do all aircraft have these way-point directing compasses ?
Is there anyway to hide the 'stick' in the spitfire ?
How do you guys navigate ?

I use my compass extensively, but I usually fly the Fw190 Me262, both which have a good instrument layout.

I haven't flown the Spit much at all, but you may be able to get a better view of the compass by pressing Shift F1.

Here is what I do:

I printed all the maps and created may own map book. I then printed a compass rose on transparency paper. I never stick to the waypoints, even with the direction compass. I read mission, see where target/recon/intercept is, put my compass rose on map and work out my own flight path.

I've been playing on full realism settings since I had the sim only "No Instant Sucsess" unchecked, as it is a useless setting

Here my compass rose that I use:
compass rose.jpg

edd

I also fly full switch only. Full realism is the only way to keep interested in this combat sim. I am glad you show interest in navigation. Eddies post above seems to be quite helpful. I tend to use landmarks in conjunction with the compass as well. After awhile the compass will become second nature.

I think it is aso important that once you have figured your course you should doublecheck your position all the time and never start doubting it. Use your clock and if you think you are lost do not freak out. start a relaxed orbit and study your charts and surroundings.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Unfortunately Im not at the stage where I can navigate with speed, timing and compass. I was under the impression that the directional compass was a realistic, yet easy means of navigation, but perhaps not.

Can you tell me more about navigating by clock and compass ? Do you time using the onboard clock, or ? (i have trouble reading the in dash clock :oops: ) I guess this method requires you to be pretty well trimmed before you start on your course ?

I find that even when trimmed my aircraft moves off course slightly - its easy to correct with the GPS type map - how do you do it in full realism ?

You can use the charts, compass and clocks to navigate fairly accurately. When you plan your route, write down your waypoints and use waypoints that are very easy to see from the air. Set your map to where you can see the 5km. squares. Take off and go to your first waypoint which should be very close to your homeplate. By this time you should be getting close to 2,000 meters in altitude and airspeed around 300km. The 5km. squares should take one minute to cross at around 300km. So if you are going 2 squares to your next waypoint you know it will take two minutes to get there. Adjust your heading and go to the next waypoint, so on and so on. Use railroads, rivers, forests that have distinct outlines and roads for your paths to coorect you headings.

I navigate by map and use the grid for 0,30,45,60,90 etc. degree headings (using TLAR for the degrees in between) and comparing map features. I do get lost on large Russian expanses that are low on features though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back