Any easy way to remove chrome plating from styrene plastic model parts? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's not a WW2 airplane...will that motorcycle model be appropriate for the Modeling area? I have begun some assembly preparing for priming and painting. I also have a 1/8 scale Kettenkrad model. Mine isn't done in Luftwaffe livery, although they were used as towing tugs for the Me262. When beginning a sortie, to save fuel, the Me262 would be towed by a Kettenkrad from its hangar out to the end of the runway so precious fuel would not be used for the taxiing process. And I assume, the jet engines started at that point (while the Galland Circus flew cover overhead in Fw190 D's - my next aircraft project) Would a photo of the Kettenkrad be appropriate?

If it is relevant to the thread yes it is. But if you want to show us your work and plan to post a couple of pics here I would suggest creating a new thread in the "Your completed models" section. The link below...

Your Completed Kits

If none of the commercial products mentioned above are available a thick coat of just powdered laundry detergent
mixed with water to a heavy consistency and brushed over the chrome will take it off in about 24 hours.

Just a follow-up. Here's the bike kit from which I removed the chrome, and painted in WW2 Wehrmacht color.
I'll post it in Completed kits..

Attachments

• PC180001.JPG
    PC180001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • PC180004.JPG
    PC180004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Hi. I am a vintage kit dealer. I buy and sell kits and I also make up complete kits from pieces I buy off the internet. Something I discovered (by accident) was that a pieces of chrome plastic submerged in my Purple Pond will come out chrome free in about 24 hours. There are no toxic fumes and although I try not to get it on my hands a few minutes of contact doesn't do any damage. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back