Anyone from N.Y.C. here? Looking for Joe Marinello, Brooklyn.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

I´m looking for relatives of Sgt Joseph Marinello Jr, 32984201, born in Brooklyn.
His father´s war time address was 1060 60th St., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Joe was KIA during the air battle on Aug 29, 1944 over our country

I´ll be at N.Y.C. area from Oct 6 to Oct 13 and I´d like to see his relatives and grave.

Sorry left NYC(Queens) in 95 or else I'd help you...

I know its pretty intresting that no one here is from there...I live about an hour out but I'm busy with school and sports :(
I know, that´s O.K. Joe Marinello was aboard the same machine with which my friend Joe Owsianik went down. My friend Joe was trying to crank the ball turret manually before he bailed out but it failed as it was jammed.
Also Russell Meyrick, a navigator from this machine was KIA.
Sister of this navigator sent us pictures of her brother and also Marinello´s so she must have been in touch with Marinello´s family. I sent an e-mail to her nephew from Denver to ask her. I hope she will have it.

A little story- when a woman from nearby village found Marinello´s body in the woods she removed a chain with a cross from his neck hoping that one day she will return it to his family. In 1994, when a first pilot from this machine visited us she gave it to him. He sent it to Joe Owsianik as he knew he lives in NJ. Joe and his wife were able with the help of local phone book to find Marinello´s sister. She, I don´t know why, refused it. She doesn´t want anything what once belonged to her brother...since that time the cross is hanging at the wall in Joe Owsianik´s house. Unfortunately, Joe is not able to find this address or phone number today...
Second Bombardment Association - Owsianik Story

Last edited:
Roman,

If my memory serves me well, our family was in touch with the other families while the men were listed MIA and for a while after when some of the mothers wrote to Russell's mother to send condolences and lend support. I know there is one mother who wrote often, but I can't remember who exactly. I can't remember for how long after Russell's death the correspondence continued.

I think what Russell's sister has is what their mother kept. I'm not sure if my aunt renewed contact at a later date.

It may take dad a bit to reply if he hasn't yet. I think he has a bunch of trials coming up.

Roman,

If my memory serves me well, our family was in touch with the other families while the men were listed MIA and for a while after when some of the mothers wrote to Russell's mother to send condolences and lend support. I know there is one mother who wrote often, but I can't remember who exactly. I can't remember for how long after Russell's death the correspondence continued.

I think what Russell's sister has is what their mother kept. I'm not sure if my aunt renewed contact at a later date.

It may take dad a bit to reply if he hasn't yet. I think he has a bunch of trials coming up.

O.K. Let´s see Kelly. I wish I could meet his family...

Hi Jim,

this guy should be there Sgt Joseph Marinello, Jr ( - 1944) - Find A Grave Memorial but I´m quite dissaponted as this info came to a dead end...as one volunteer from findagrave.com sent me a message that Joe´s not there. Also a friend of mine called the cemetery and they don´t have any info on him...and I thought I was so close...
Here´s an article about him Brooklyn Eagle, Bay Ridge Eagle Brooklyn, NY :: daily paper in Brooklyn
I have to find his family till 2014 (70th anniversary of the battle).

Thank you so much for your willingness mate!!!

Roman,

I got to the cemetary today and as you inferred, the body is no longer there. I don't know when it was moved exactly, but there is a Vietnam vet buried at that location who was killed in 1968. I took photos for you of HIS tombstone and will post them if you like. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards, Jim

Hard to say definitively, but I would guess that he was interred there for a time at least. All the other tomb stones around him were from WW2 if I remember correctly. The one presently at location H 10438 kind of sticks out like a sore thumb being a casualty from the Vietnam War. And since that vet was killed in 1968, I would further guess that the guy you're looking for was disinterred some time before then…

Maybe you can E-mail the Long Island National Cemetery and ask them or you can wait a while and I will try to find more information at the beginning of the new year. BUT you must remind me! :)

Talk to you later my friend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back