Anything going on in NZ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RAF Liberators

Airman 1st Class
Apr 17, 2009
Englishman in NZ
www.rafb24.com
Hi
I've been over here almost 4 years now and I've not seen anything near to what goes on in the rest of the world as far as modeling shows/expos/conventions etc. Does anyone know of anything going on over here any time this year that doesn't involve sheep or cows?
I have a Kiwi modelling site that I'm trying to build up resources for (won't mention the address) plus I miss things like the Model Engineering Exhibition and the sheer number of resources. Even model shops seem to cater more for R/C cars than anything else :cry:
Cheers
Gary

G'day Gary!

Where abouts do you live? Daniel (109 roaming) mentioned to me not long ago that there will be a model swap meet around the end of July in Christchurch.

Evan

Ah, the other end of the country! Hope it's a good fair mate!

Btw, did you know some of NZ's greatest musicians come from Te Awamutu - the brothers Neil and Tim Finn, of 'Split Enz' and later 'Crowded House' fame.

Yeah I heard on TV that the Aussies steal everything good that was originally from Nz. Makes me laugh when I hear "world famous in New Zealand".
Anyway I went to that craft fair and OMFG what buch of crap that was. I was a proper craft fair, complete with hairy old ladies and knitting needles!!
The only good thing there was some guy selling Unimart Machine tools, I'm going to get me one. I'd of bought it today but he didn't have any on him only the display one.

Sorry to hear that mate! ...So the hairy old ladies didn't interest you? They were probably some of our finest too! :)

About the 'Aussie' kiwi groups, the first time I lived in Oz they were advertising a concert as featuring "Australia's top 10 bands!" - 4 were kiwis !!! :D

:lol: ...Seriously though, you guys have some GREAT groups too! Midnight Oil, Icehouse, AC/DC, Aussie crawl, Men at work, Cold chisel...

The sad thing for us kiwis is just that the NZ music, acting, and sport scene all have one thing in common - NO MONEY. If someone wants to get rich or famous, they usually go to Oz first, then onto either the UK or USA...

Apart from the shows seen in yors and wayne's pics, what's the modelmaking scene like in Oz?

Very true mate! As far as the arts scene over in Australia, well there is one and its in Melbourne but even then its very tough. Funding usually goes to the wrong places as many muso's (myself) included will tell you.

Modelling scene is pretty good here in Victoria, enough clubs around tho nothing really that close to me. A few shows here and there at museums around ie Vietnam Veterans museum, national air museum etc..

I was part a club for a while but got sick its politics and the 'anoracks' which tended to frustrate me.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back