Are engineering drawings available for the Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 engine?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sutts

Airman
Jan 3, 2019
Hi,

Wondering if these are available in digital or microfilm format please? Accurate 3 view plans would be a good start but I'd really love to delve into the detail.
Really hoping they didn't end up in a dumpster like so many.

Thanks!

The corporate archives of Wright Aeronautical did not survive in the company itself and I believe were disposed of. It is of course possible that remnants remained with some machine-shops etc and there are WAero files in the US govt archives (not currently accessible due to US Govt shutdown) but I would rate your chances of finding proper engineering drawings as about zero without very very serious research. Also people tend to spend years and large amounts of money tracking down things like this so it helps if you refine your request a bit further than "can I please have your documents". ;) E.g. explaining what it is you intend to use the drawings for is a very good starting point.

The Wright 1820 is still in limited use; there are probably one or more overhaul shops with many of the drawings. Ask nicely and offer to pay for copies.

Last edited:
The corporate archives of Wright Aeronautical did not survive in the company itself and I believe were disposed of. It is of course possible that remnants remained with some machine-shops etc and there are WAero files in the US govt archives (not currently accessible due to US Govt shutdown) but I would rate your chances of finding proper engineering drawings as about zero without very very serious research. Also people tend to spend years and large amounts of money tracking down things like this so it helps if you refine your request a bit further than "can I please have your documents". ;) E.g. explaining what it is you intend to use the drawings for is a very good starting point.

Thanks for the info - such a shame so much has been lost due to fires and neglect. I do understand the considerable time and resources people put into their research. Many years ago I spent several thousand on Lancaster engineering drawings. Unfortunately there are always missing or illegible drawings that make detailed research a very frustrating business. Filling those gaps can be an impossible task unless you have direct access to a restoration project.

Therer are some service manuals, parts manuals, etc on AirCorps Library for the 1820, though I don't see the -97 listed. However some of the manuals are for the full series of R-1820s

Avialogs has several 1820 manuals online (under "Cyclone 9") including the overhaul manual and IPC for the GC (earlier the G200, the -97 was the turbo assisted version of the G series). The IPC (parts catalog) views appear to be exclusively isometric, however.

Check with the National Air And Space museum archives, They have tremendous resources for you.

Hi,

Wondering if these are available in digital or microfilm format please? Accurate 3 view plans would be a good start but I'd really love to delve into the detail.
Really hoping they didn't end up in a dumpster like so many.

Thanks!
When Curtiss Wright stopped support of engines, they scrapped all parts and donated microfilm drawings to the NASM. A manager at CW had told me that he didn't know what happened to the original drawings but the microfilm had drawings from before WWI.

I have some maintenance manuals for a couple of Wright Cyclone R-1820 engines, though to be honest I'm not sure what, in the engine itself, distinguishes between the different models of the 1820.
The manuals do have some orthographic illustrations. I know they're not ideal as they're not full blown engineering drawings but finding this information has been challenging.

I have some maintenance manuals for a couple of Wright Cyclone R-1820 engines, though to be honest I'm not sure what, in the engine itself, distinguishes between the different models of the 1820.
The manuals do have some orthographic illustrations. I know they're not ideal as they're not full blown engineering drawings but finding this information has been challenging.

Thanks, I have noticed some differences in the cylinder head fins and the engine case that the barrels attach to. Will have to try to dig out a good clear copy of the maintenance manual for the 1820-97 (Cyclone 9 / 9 Series) engine. Will also see what the Smithsonian has.

Here are some terrible phone photos of the physical manuals I have on the Wright Cyclone series 9 engines.
If anything here seems helpful I'll break out my equipment and take good images.

OperationandServiceManualWrightCyclone9_cover.pngPartsCatalogWrightCyclone9_cover.pngWrightCycloneEnginesSeries9HCOverhaulManual_cover.png

Thanks, I have noticed quite a few differences in the cylinder head fins and the engine case that they attach to. Will have to try to dig out a good clear copy of the maintenance manual for the 1820-97.
Here are some terrible phone photos of the physical manuals I have on the Wright Cyclone series 9 engines.
If anything here seems helpful I'll break out my equipment and take good images.

View attachment 525972View attachment 525973View attachment 525974

Thanks for the kind offer, what a nice collection! I believe there are some decent (but limited) scale drawings in at least one of these manuals but I haven't done enough research yet to know which one. I'm going to have to capture the image without introducing distortion for it to be useful in CAD so I guess a phone pic is out of the question.
Will see if I can find myself a copy and will get back to you if I have no luck. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind offer, what a nice collection! I believe there are some decent (but limited) scale drawings in at least one of these manuals but I haven't done enough research yet to know which one. I'm going to have to capture the image without introducing distortion for it to be useful in CAD so I guess a phone pic is out of the question.
Will see if I can find myself a copy and will get back to you if I have no luck. Cheers.

No worries. I have a 24 megapixel camera with fixed 60mm macro lens that takes amazing document images. I have soft lighting and a magicarm mounted to a horizontal bar that let's me take very nice orthographic images with limited distortion. It's the best way I've found to do this without dismantling the books. Scanners don't work, because of the binding.

It's a process but it's worth it.
sample.png

And now I have a service manual on the way.

No worries. I have a 24 megapixel camera with fixed 60mm macro lens that takes amazing document images. I have soft lighting and a magicarm mounted to a horizontal bar that let's me take very nice orthographic images with limited distortion. It's the best way I've found to do this without dismantling the books. Scanners don't work, because of the binding.

It's a process but it's worth it.
View attachment 526215

And now I have a service manual on the way.

Wow, now you've got my attention, that's quite a set up. :) I'd be very grateful if you could capture me some accurate 3 views if you get a spare moment. If they have dimensions then even better. Happy to put something towards it, just let me know.

Cheers

Sorry this took so long. This is a foldout chart from the back of the service manual I just got. Fortunately the manual is assembled with screws so I was able to take this out and scan.
Please keep in mind there may be some slight discrepancies as I had to scan this is four pieces.

WrightCyclone9GC_dwg414820.png

Sorry this took so long. This is a foldout chart from the back of the service manual I just got. Fortunately the manual is assembled with screws so I was able to take this out and scan.
Please keep in mind there may be some slight discrepancies as I had to scan this is four pieces.

View attachment 527282

That's superb bse7entn, thanks so much for your efforts - it should make a great basis for a model. While most of these dimensions are for attachment points and outlets, I can estimate the component dimensions from them. If you ever notice any real dimensions quoted for the major assemblies then it would be great to have that confirmation please. Thanks again for your help with this, very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back