Asymetrical Wing Lengths

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ural Rider

Recruit
Jun 15, 2009
Connecticut
In the Squadron Signal book "Macchi C.205 Veltro Walk-Around", it mentions "As with all Macchi fighters, the C.205's starboard wing was 20cm shorter in span to compensate for propeller torque."
How common was this ?

I'm with you fellas, on this one. I had never heard this either, not doubting what you'd read, Ural...just it comes as news to me. If the starboard wing was required to be a wee bit shorter to compensate for engine torque does this just represent an instability of the Macchi design or do other planes have the same problem.
I know there are some pilots and aviation engineers types around so I am quite curious to hear from them.
Regards,
Derek

Yes, it's true: both Macchi's C.202 and C.205 (that were equipped with the same wing type) had asymmetrical wings for torque compensating.

205_pianta.png

Cheers

Last edited:
I wonder if there were any negative side effects?

i cant believe I didnt know about that...

So how would that work?
Which wing would be shorter wrt prop rotation?

My take on torque-related problems is that the ground-handling characteristics got nastier, how would this help?

As mentioned, it was to counter torque effects and yaw. The vertical stabilizer was slightly twisted to the left for the same reason.

I never knew that, but then I'm not all that familiar with Italian fighters. Does anyone know if this was the case with any other fighters?

JL

PS: I seem to recollect that some fighters had the engine thrustline offset from the longitudinal axis of the fuselage to reduce torque effects. Is this true, or am I just confused again?

Last edited:
Blohn and Voss were working with Asymetrical configurations, although they took it to an extreme. Thier best known example would be the Bv141.

I think the BvP178 was the best looking of thier designs, though it didn't get past the testing stages.

Attachments

• BvP178.jpg
    BvP178.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 265
  • BvP178-3v.jpg
    BvP178-3v.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 203
PS: I seem to recollect that some fighters had the engine thrustline offset from the longitudinal axis of the fuselage to reduce torque effects. Is this true, or am I just confused again?

Butters, this is a fairly common design feature, not restricted to fighters.

Most aircraft, no matter how low-powered have either the vertical fin or the engine offset by a small (2-3º) amount. It's fairly hard to see, unless you are looking straight down on the aircraft when the cowls are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back