Aurora

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kinda like this 40 year old Mach3+ D-21 drone. And this was 40 [F-O-R-T-Y] years ago. :cool:

Attachments

• D-21.jpg
    D-21.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 86
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 65
Bummer I didn't get a chance to see you, Joe. Any upcoming shows in SoCal you plan on coming to?
Likewise Eric - I don't know what the schedule will be in the next few months, I have a lot of things going on. I may be out your way briefly Thurs. morning. Today I'm with Stambo. I'm doing a condition inspection on his plane, then we're going to fly, weather permitting. I'll post photos....

Looks a little bit like the SR-71 Blackbird in shape and wing style, that drone. A proof of concept design drone perhaps?
Guess again...

The D-21 has been around for a long time and was deployed in the late 60s and 70s. Much of its operation is still classified but it is rumored it was used as a decoy and to over fly China. It was carried on top of the SR-71 and was also seen on B-52s.

There was a great book entitled "Blind Man's Bluff" that detailed the cold war espionage technologies and operations. In that book they identify some D-21 operations. Apparently it was not too terribly successful as many of the drones were not lost over enemy territory, but rather crashed with their mission package once outside of hostile territory. They were apparently untouchable, though.

Have them both just up the road at the Boeing Museum of Flight. It's my understanding the it is one of two motherships built. The other in Ohio, if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• lockheedd-21b_2.jpg
    lockheedd-21b_2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 60
  • lockheedd-21b_1.jpg
    lockheedd-21b_1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 52
Um, yeah they look similar. Same designer, manufacturer and all part of project Oxcart. The D-21 was carried by the A-12. Two were set aside for the D-21 project; 60-6940 and 60-6941. After a test destroyed an A-12 and one of the crew that ejected drowned, Kelly Johnson himself cancelled the project despite the fact that engineers on the project believed that it could work.

Look similar, but drone ramjet engine is from the old Bomarc missile.

Attachments

• cim-10a.jpg
    cim-10a.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back