Aussie F-111's in a landfill?????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! From Youtube.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10-47-56 American bomber that ended up in Australia’s landfill - YouT...png
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10-47-31 American bomber that ended up in Australia’s landfill - YouT...png

They used depleted uranium for counter weights? That's like using mercury in light bulbs, kinda dangerous don't ya think?

Ancient news - happened over a decade ago back in 2011. Pity they didn't bury their number 1 fanboy Carlo Kopp with them.

There is one at The American Air Power Museum at Republic Airport on Long Island
That's good! I saw where a group in Wisconsin (not EAA) got one to put on display but have not been able to find out any more info. I wish we had better close up photos of the cockpits so I could see if they have the air conditioning vent I redesigned. Mine have "Caution" printed on them. Crews were crushing them getting in and out because no one thought to provide a hand hold. I strengthened the vent and thought "Caution" was better than "Danger! 50,000 Volts!" although probably less effective.

Yeah, there's even one at the RAAF Amberley entrance which you can look around without coming onto base or going to a museum:

DSC07640+%25281%2529.jpg

More photos:

Was quite common ... and not as dangerous as some would think.

Depleted uranium (DU) was used in the F-111 aircraft fuselages primarily for its advantageous properties as a counterbalance weight in the aircraft. Here are the key reasons:
  1. High Density: Depleted uranium is extremely dense, about 1.7 times denser than lead. This makes it ideal for counterbalance applications, as it allows a significant amount of weight to be concentrated in a small volume. This property is particularly useful in aircraft design, where space is limited and weight distribution is critical for maintaining balance and stability.
  2. Structural Integrity: The high density and robustness of DU make it an excellent material for adding weight without compromising the structural integrity of the aircraft. In the case of the F-111, DU counterweights were used to maintain proper balance and control surfaces, ensuring optimal aerodynamic performance.
  3. Material Properties: DU has good corrosion resistance and mechanical properties that make it durable in various environmental conditions encountered during flight. This ensures the long-term reliability and safety of the aircraft.

Specific Application in the F-111

In the F-111 aircraft, depleted uranium was used in the form of counterbalance weights in the horizontal stabilizers. These counterweights were essential for the proper functioning of the stabilizers, which are crucial for the aircraft's pitch control.

Safety Considerations

While the use of depleted uranium offers significant advantages, it also comes with potential health and environmental risks due to its weak radioactivity and chemical toxicity. However, in the case of the F-111, the DU was encapsulated and securely integrated into the aircraft structure to minimize exposure risks during normal operation and maintenance.

Conclusion

The decision to use depleted uranium in the F-111 aircraft fuselages was driven by its high density, which allowed for effective and efficient counterbalancing in the aircraft's design. Despite its potential hazards, the benefits in terms of performance and structural integrity made it a valuable material for this specific application.

Depleted uranium is used in quite a number of aircraft, spent time searching for the stuff when two Wessex helicopters clipped blades while in formation and the DU blade balance weights were scattered about the country side, Boeing 747 uses DU for balance purposes as well.

I knew a girl who was from Kingman AZ. Kingman was a big WW2 surplus disposal site. She said there was a lot of stuff buried out there. I wonder if anyone has gone looking for buried airplanes and airplane parts around there?

About a mile and a half away we have an A-7E in a park. It still has its TF-41. I wonder if we can get it off the ground using the shopping mall parking lot across the street or if we will have to taxi it down to the airport about a mile away?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back