Aviation Game!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and i just know someone's about to ask me what "VIFFing" is, well, i don't have time to explain now, but i will explain later, i've explained before, so anyone that can correctly explain before i do, will, err, get a prize!!

I haven't been keeping up with modern aircraft but I imagine the F-35 will have superior air-to-air armament to the Harrier. Why do you say SeaHarrier anyway? They mostly use RAF Gr.7s, the most advanced Harrier in the world, on the carriers these days.

Putting the nozzles straight down when in normal flight, therefore shooting up wards, the plane tailing you overshoots and you then put the nozzles back and youre on his tail...

Thats a half arsed answer that doesnt make sense.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
just out of interest why do you say that?? the JSF can't VIFF as well as the harrier- advantage harrier........

VIFF isn't going to help you when you're opponent (F-35) has enough power to go vertical and unload faster than the Harrier can recover frm a VIFF configuration. The F-35 probably has the most advanced thrust vectoring exhaust system today and it will probably be improved on production models. advantage F-35........

Attachments

• f-35_hover_567.jpg
    f-35_hover_567.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 372
but that's it flyboy, the F-35 isn't that quick to VIFF, as such, in combat, the Harrier can easily evade and get on the tail of a F-35......

The F-35 would be back on the Harrier's tail soon after though. VIFFing isnt everything in an air to air battle, if it was, all planes would be designed to be able to do it.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but that's it flyboy, the F-35 isn't that quick to VIFF, as such, in combat, the Harrier can easily evade and get on the tail of a F-35......

I don't think so - F-35 thrust to weight ratio less than 1 to 1, I don't this the Harrier could touch that, by the time the Harrier VIFFs, the -35 is up and over it like flies on sh*t. But even before even getting that close, the F-35 will acquire, track, shoot, destroy, and have the kill making painted on its side before the Harrier pilot knows what happened! :evil4:

One that you have to remember is the Harrier was not really built for dog fighting it was built as a strike fighter. For Ground Attack. If you look at most of its armament it is for bombing and ground attack. And that is where the real characteristics of the Harrier some in handy.

What are the chances that the Canadian Forces will select the F-35 as the next strike fighter, to replace the CF-18's in the Air Force by 2017? :-k
If you said "remote", you're probably correct! :D

No, there have been rumblings about it, but I doubt very much they'll go with the STOVL model even if they do go with F-35's. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back