B-17 Flying over Cincinnati, OH (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

olbrat

Airman
Mar 19, 2008
I just thought I'd share -

I had the good fortune to see a B-17 flying around Cincinnati, OH last weekend. It flew out of Lunken Airport numerous times on what was I suspect a fund raising tour. Unfortunatly I was unable to see her name or determine her model type.

I know it's been said a thousand times, but it's really great to see one flying. I never seem to get tired of it. My wife, who had never seen one, and generally could care less was even impressed and asked pertinent questions about it. Looking at pictures doesn't always do warbirds justice. It's like a flying history lesson and tends to get people motivated to learn. I hope we can keep them flying!

Also - in case anyone is going in that direction - A couple of years ago I know there were a P-40, a T-28 and maybe a YAK(?) aircraft hangared at Lunken Airport. I'm sure they're still around somewhere. I haven't been there in a while so I don't know specifically where they are. They also had an F-86 Sabre Static display between a couple of hangars and an Aeronca C3(?) hanging in the lobby of the old terminal building.

I know it's been said a thousand times, but it's really great to see one flying. I never seem to get tired of it. My wife, who had never seen one, and generally could care less was even impressed and asked pertinent questions about it. Looking at pictures doesn't always do warbirds justice. It's like a flying history lesson and tends to get people motivated to learn. I hope we can keep them flying!

If you're from the Cincinatti area, you'll have a golden opportunity to see and hear both a B-17 and a B-24 flying along with a P-51. The Collings Foundation aircraft will be in Dayton, Oh. at the Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport on Aug 11-13th.

If you have the financial means, you can even purchase a ride on one of them. It's not exactly cheap, but it's not everyday you can do this. If you want a ride, get on the waiting list as soon as you can. I used to volunteer at the (Now closed.) Planes of Fame Museum at the Flying Cloud Airport in Eden Prairie, Mn when the Collings planes came there. I remember that even though the price for a ride was a couple of hundred dollars the waiting list was very long, and not everyone got in. I would imagine with today's fuel prices, it hasn't gotten any cheaper. (This was in 1997. The planes arrived from Florida. The B-24 blew an engine on the approach, and she came in on 3 engines. They never were able to get another engine in time for the rides, so the B-17 did yeoman duty, flying as much as they could to accomodate everyone. The moral of the story is you don't know what might happen, so as soon as you can, get on the list.) (I remember the crew chief for the B-24 wasn't in a very good mood. I looked at the engine, and you could see a hole the size of your fist in the crankcase section.)

Here's a link to their website. Click the "tour schedules" link on the left, and go to the "wings of freedom" tour for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back