B-17 G 1:48 scale, 351st Bomb Group, 510th Squadron, AC# 43-37862, Fearless Fosdick (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Working my way through this thread, what an incredible amount of detail, it's mind boggling but amazing. :eek:
Too much time on my hands according to Annie.
Sometimes I just can't stop saying "I can do that"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some stuff just gets discarded tho.
Again, thanks Vic

Hello guys, miss me? I've had a lot going on and sometimes I just get tired. I have basically finished the center waist gunner position. Had to do some touchups here and there as this has been going on three years. I have started working on the forward section. Once that area is done I can finally, at long last, close the plane up for outside detail and finish build. You know I have worked on nothing else for this time and I miss doing simpler stuff. I may need to do something simple to get me going on again. Thanks guys for your support through this. It helps me keep going to the end.

20220508_160347.jpg

20220508_160355.jpg

Thanks for following

I have been busy but in my spare time I was able to get more done. I put together the photo etch items and built two more chairs for the forward area.
20220602_165544.jpg

20220602_185353.jpg

then I started installing each item working from back to front. The usual stuff oxygen regulators, heating units, machinegun, ammo cans and belt, and one of the seats onto the ring where the bombardier sits. Took awhile but it came out ok.

20220710_072447(1).jpg

20220710_072515(1).jpg

I've added the ammo belt once the back stuff was in along with the controls for the chin-mounted guns. I also decided to make a lamp for the desk. I added the bomb-sight, and other bombing controls.

Looking over photos, I figured I would go ahead and make one similar to the one I made for a Black Widow build several years ago.

I first stretched sprue, then cut the smaller end on side. Then I heated a needle and pushed it into the small end so that it got stuck in the plastic. The plastic was then cut at a point that looked close to what I wanted for the bell of the lamp. Sanding helped to improve the shape before I withdrew the needle and glued in a piece of copper wire.

Once I had the general shape, I drilled a small hole in the table where I wanted to lamp to be attached and cut a reasonable sized disc from aluminum foil. I punched a hole in the center of the foil and pushed the wire through it.
20220813_162904.jpg

Next I glued the wire into the desk to what I figured was a good length and snipped off the excess. To give the mount form, I used white glue normally used for gluing clear window parts. I also added glue to areas where joints would be. Painted it black after all the glue dried.

Here is what it looks like now. I only have a few levers to glue in before I can finally start closing this up.
20220813_203930.jpg

20220813_204004.jpg

20220813_204120.jpg

I hope it looks ok, thanks for following.

The times that I have been able to peek, I have enjoyed the amount of details that you have handled.

I like the details that improve the appearance of our projects (something that I enjoy in cockpits, engines, landing gear, etc.), and I continue to learn from the ingenuity that you have put into your great bomber in this case. :salute:

I will keep an eye on your progress

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back