B-17 G 1:48 scale, 351st Bomb Group, 510th Squadron, AC# 43-37862, Fearless Fosdick

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for waiting guys, and thanks for all the great support and kind comments. As of last night, I am at a point of 3 down and locked. Now just a little information to show how I got there.

20220905_103039.jpg

To help hold up the plane and free my hands, I fitted but didn't clue the right wing. Those locking lugs make it nice and easy. I tried to see how the fit would be for the clear part, not perfect but doable. I used the clear half to help me glue the center windows in and there were a few of them, at least four for the moment. I used the clear as a rest on one side so that I could glue the other side. Once the glue dried, I could remove the clear side and the window would remain in place. This actually worked out pretty well... except with the dome window. That pup popped out again as I was doing final attachment of the two halves. Not to worry though, I can still just pop it in due to its unusual shape. Just a little trickier.

20220905_103222.jpg

when I sprayed the aluminum over the clear area, I wanted a little overlap of center so that I could fix any fit issues if needed.
20220911_162129.jpg

Here you can see the dome window on the clear side as it was easier at the time to do it this way. I also attached a gun on the port side. Because of the tight quarters in the nose, I figured it was easier to attach the belt now then work it into the tight spot after the halves were cemented.

20220911_162105.jpg

20220911_170327.jpg

I didn't have a regular sight for the port waist gun so I made one. That window glue comes in handy. First I made a circle of approximate size and glued it in shape. Attached it to the gun and trimmed. Then using smaller wire and AC glue, I was able to get the cross parts attached. Finally fitted the completed assembly into the port waist gun position.
20220911_133427.jpg

Had to use gravity to hold the window over the pilot but it also shows the stuff under the pilot area better.
20220918_182308.jpg

Getting the sides to fit over the entire length was a pain. I had to trim behind the locking lugs on the clear side wing to get it to fit due to the goodies inside. Manufacturer clearly intended for the wings to be attached before the halves were joined. Still doing some test fitting in other areas but I did finally get the halves together without the total destruction of the plane in the process. Final note, after the wheels were fitted on, the ball turret sat exactly were it was suppose to.

More pictures later. Thanks for following.

new post coming soon. I have continued to keep busy and the plane is nearing completion. Currently chin-mount and nose glass are installed. Engines with blades are installed. anti-glare paint is done, and the red stripe is painted on the tail. Had to fix some gaps with the tail gunner cover and create the rear gunsight. The correct tail gun cover needed a lot of work but got that shaped better and am about to install the rear barrels. Decals are also being applied over the aircraft as well.

So here is what I have done up till now.
1000000086.jpg

I've added the photo etch barrels for the chin mount guns. The mount was a little off center but once it was attached, it brought the whole inner part into alignment and fit nicely. I then attached the forward glass nose cone.

20221106_172443.jpg

Then I fitted the engines on, minus the propellers, so that the OD green anti-glare could be painted on. I also worked out and did the initial painting on the tail stripe. Unfortunately, I forgot a basic rule. I should have painted a white stripe first before painting red. The white paint would make the red stand out in the proper shade. I went back and redid this properly later.
20221106_191205.jpg

So far the paint job came out well.

20221120_133433.jpg

With the anti-glare done I started adding decals.
20221123_181514.jpg

before I finally glued on the engines and props, I painted the disc behind the engine black. This was for the black guide vanes that guide air around the cylinders for cooling. It came out quite well. Once all engines were attached, it was time to work on the tail section.

It was about this time that I realized something the directions didn't mention. See if you can see the problem.
20221031_054802.jpg

1000000091.jpg
1000000093.jpg

1000000094.jpg

So here is the problem. The first tail cone would go on with no troubles at all but the second tail cone won't. In order to attach the second tail cone, a good section of the rear of the plane would have to be removed in order for that cone to fit properly. What to do.

So I cut off the kit sight and sanded the ends smooth. Then sanded from the back of the cone to make it fit properly.

Once I was sure of the fit, I scratch built the sight according the pictures I have seen and checked the fit of the greenhouse in the back. I noticed the gaps and used sprue to fill them and paint over.
1000000090.jpg

20221129_205329.jpg

Here I have the corrected red stripe and repaired greenhouse fit.

20221129_205207.jpg

Finally. I added some tail markings. This is where I have stopped for now.

20221130_214658.jpg

Thanks for following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back