B-17 Instrument Parts (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spike

Recruit
Apr 11, 2005
a city
Hi all, I have in my possession an 8-day Elgin cockpit clock from a B-17 Flying Fortress. It was malfunctioning so I opened it up and immediately found the problem: The "T" shaped ratcheting device for the small flywheel had broken in two and lost a few other portions of the part, making it totally useless. Is there any way I can find a replacement part or get repairs without getting an entirely different movement? Or can someone who has one help me out? I dont have much money to spend, but this clock has infinite sentimental value and I really would like to get it restored/fixed.

PM me or reply if you have any suggestions/comments.
Thanx Very Much!

Some clock shops specialize in those types of clocks. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I have seen parts for the Elgin and Waltham 8 day clocks on e-bay. Elgin is still in business, you may want to try contacting them.

Not really. People who can repair old watches and clocks don't find the Walthams and Elgins difficult. Parts may be another story, but if you are used to working with the small parts in watches, the Elgin should not bee that bad.

a picture of the exact same model of clock I own is shown...

If there is a contact(s) or website for Elgin, i cannot locate it.

If there is a parts list/manual in PDF or other format out there, please post a link to it, it would really help me identify the part technically.

Thanks again for any help/info you have.

Attachments

• d0_1_b_991.jpg
    d0_1_b_991.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 417
spike said:
a picture of the exact same model of clock I own is shown...

If there is a contact(s) or website for Elgin, i cannot locate it.

If there is a parts list/manual in PDF or other format out there, please post a link to it, it would really help me identify the part technically.

Thanks again for any help/info you have.

TRY HERE:

Elgin Watch Company
Division of M. Z. Berger Co. Inc.
33-00 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City

New York 11101-2224
Phone: (718)-361-7720 or 1-800-221-0131

TRY THIS WEBSITE: http://www.cpearce.orcon.net.nz/aircrafc.htm

Thanks! I will contact them, and hopefully I can get some more official info from them, but I will still continue to search for replacement parts online as well.

spike said:
Thanks! I will contact them, and hopefully I can get some more official info from them, but I will still continue to search for replacement parts online as well.

Just remember - they may not be cheap :rolleyes:

If you have any antique dealers nearby, or shops, you can check with them also. They often know people that specialize in Military antiques. These folks will probably know someone who either has the parts or the expetise that can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back