B-17G-50-VE 44-8158 Bobby Sox.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder when you cut out the part which is to become the new waist gunner position, if you seal the old position using that, or if it's in slightly the wrong shape...?

That's what I did. It's exactly the same distance forward, so the part cut out fits into the moulded window aperture, with the leading edge becoming the trailing edge frame. Not too difficult, and easy to blend in the joint. The windows are the 'plain' type, and easily made from cleat sheet, slightly bent to the contour of the fuselage, and the kit's gun mounts can be used.
The 'Cheyenne' tail position used to be available as a conversion part from someone, but can't remember who. If not, then it can be moulded in two sections without too much problem.

You're thinking of UK based Paragon old boy. There's a Cheyenne turret on ebay, which I plan to snap up (I hope) on Thursday...

Much obliged Terry...

You're welcome old chap. I'm trying to reach the book which will tell me if she had a 'Cheyenne' turret - darned thing's at the back of an awkward shelf! I'll also try to remember to take some pics of the waist windows on my model, which may help. It would help even more of I finsihed the bl**dy thing !!

Meanwhile, here's some of that nose art. These are all from Roger Freeman's 'Mighty Eighth in Colour', and are credited to Arnold N. Delmonico.
All aircraft are from the 490th BG, based at Eye.

Attachments

• Can Jan 453.jpg
    Can Jan 453.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 85
  • Can Jan 449.jpg
    Can Jan 449.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 79
  • Can Jan 451.jpg
    Can Jan 451.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Can Jan 452.jpg
    Can Jan 452.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Can Jan 450.jpg
    Can Jan 450.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 81
Nice ones old boy, much obliged! :salute:

Edit:

Couldn't feel safe any longer, so I snapped this Paragon 1/48 B-17G Cheyenne Turret on ebay.

Attachments

• B-17G Cheyenne Turret.jpg
    B-17G Cheyenne Turret.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Good grab old chap.
I've established that this aircraft would have definitely had the staggered, plain-window waist gun positions, and may well have still had an 'open' radio room gun hatch. The latter wasn't enclosed (on Vega produced A/C) until the B17G-65-VE, starting with 44-8401. But of course, it could have been fitted at Burtonwood, or other BAD or FMC, or even at unit level. By mid 44, most were enclosed.
The Cheyenne turret wasn't fitted in production on Vega A/C until B17G-55-VE, starting 44-8287, but again, many were fitted 'in the field' and of course at the United Airlines Mod Centre at Cheyenne. Most pics of 490BG A/C seem to show a Cheyenne turret.

A pint of the barkeeps finest or a double dram?

See if I can find Paragons B-17's bomb bay as well.... :oops: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back