B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good luck for your eye. I had this 6 months ago, and the worst part was that I had to wear sun glasses for two weeks.

Thanks very much for the good wishes chaps, it's much appreciated.
Fortunately, I haven't had to wear sunglasses yet - the sun where I live is a myth, learned only from ancient scripture !!

Thank you for the generous offer Luft. If the turret kit doesn't show up, I'll let you know.

Having a break today, but hope to start on the B-24 wings, and modifying fuselage windows, over the weekend.

Thanks very much for the good wishes chaps, it's much appreciated.
Fortunately, I haven't had to wear sunglasses yet - the sun where I live is a myth, learned only from ancient scripture !!

Thank you for the generous offer Luft. If the turret kit doesn't show up, I'll let you know.

Having a break today, but hope to start on the B-24 wings, and modifying fuselage windows, over the weekend.
Know how you feel Terry. I saw the sun yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks and now it has disappeared again.
Looking forward to seeing you start in on the B-24. I picked up one of those Atlantis tankers too "just in case".
Good luck with the eye surgery Monday. I may have to get my hand worked on as it hasn't been quite right since the surgery.

Thanks Glenn.
The "Atlantis" re-issue of the tanker should have the US Army Air Forces decals, which us a bonus. Of course, the cab unit is post war, but, after converting the tanker trailer, you could do what I did with the Tamiya re-fueller, or get a Wespe Models resin Diamond T for the tractor unit, and do an easy conversion on that kit.
Hope you get your hand sorted - I know what it's like, as my left hand is rigid, with virtually zero grip, apart from two fingers with an awkward grip, and my right hand is getting stiffer too.

Just been looking at what's needed to open up the cowlings on the port outer engine. Seems fairly straightforward, but I might have to get a resin engine, as the kit part is moulded as a "solid" part, with the rear cylinder bank as part of the bulkhead. That said, I may be able to adapt a P-47 engine to represent the rear cylinder bank. A resin engine would be better of course, for accuracy, but that means getting an order together to meet the minimum order requirement at Hannants.
I'll have a long think about this .................

Like you idea with the engine Terry and though I use Hannants a lot, its a pain in the ass trying to make up the minimum order and for us down under to justify the postage. Have to say though, my last order, be it in an envelope, only took 5 day to get here. Beats my last order from Melbourne to home port hands down. :lol:

Well Vic, I've had a look at available engines, and the one I would choose, from Metallic Details (pic included below), is not yet available from Hannant's as a single-engine kit, although can be had as a complete kit of four engines, plus cowls and superchargers etc - at £50 GBP !!!!
I think that's a no from me !
Checking on what can be seen through the opened cowl panels, I think I can do enough to improve the look of the kit engine(s), so I'll stick with them, as explained below.

The B-24 - preview of required modifications.

As stated in the opening post of this thread, the subject aircraft is a B-24H-10-FO, so some changes need to be made to the Monogram B-24J kit, mainly around the nose area, and some moulded detail either blanked off, or opened up, as detailed below.

The model will be posed with mechanics working on the port outer engine, so this will entail cutting away some of the engine cowling panels, and replicating the hinged, folding panels, to expose at least the upper and lower central section of the cylinder heads. As mentioned above, I'll stick with the kit engines, modified as best I can, as only a small area will be visible, especially with the "mechanic" figures shielding at least some of the view.
The rear of each engine nacelle needs to be opened up, and holes drilled for the landing lamps on both wings, and the "passing" lamp between the engines on the port wing. These will be glazed with punched-out clear sheet and shaped, clear sprue respectively.
The rear of the wheel bays should really be opened and a new rear wall constructed, but as this area will be virtually impossible to see once the aircraft is on the diorama base, I'll skip that job !
Most of the raised panel lines will also be removed and re-engraved, on the upper wing surfaces at least.

Moving on to the fuselage, this again will have most of the upper and side panel lines removed and re-engraved.
The main area needing attention is around the front section of the nose. As the subject is a Ford-built aircraft, the distinctive "S" shaped panel needs to be engraved, and a curved recess cut into the vertical panel on each side where the gun turret sits.
The moulded detail on the extreme nose needs to be removed and, eventually, a slightly raised, blended curved panel fabricated around the lower line of the turret area.
The scanning window behind the Bombardier's window needs to be filled on the inside, using plastic card, and then filled with "Milliput" on the outside and sanded flush.
I have a vac-formed Bombardier's window section I thought I could use, but it's the wrong style, so I'll adapt the kit part, with added framework, which, although not 100% accurate, will not really be noticeable, and should pass muster.
Thankfully, among my references I have the excellent book by Alan Griffith, "Consolidated Mess", which has been of enormous help when researching this project, and thoroughly recommended.
Finally, for now at least, the rear fuselage lower viewing windows need to be cut open and glazed, and the ventral camera port opened. The upper escape hatch, immediately forward of the top turret, will also be cut open.
Some of the fuselage window surrounds will also be sanded down slightly, as they look a little too pronounced.
There will, of course, be further mods and additions, mainly internally, as the build progresses, although I don't intend to add extra detail where it can't be seen, only in those area where lack of some sort of detail may be noticeable on the finished model.

The pics below show those areas described, and I hope to commence work over the weekend.
Thanks again for the continued interest in this project, and I'll be back soon ................

B-24 model engine.jpg
B-24 Diorama 365.JPG
B-24 Diorama 368.JPG
B-24 Diorama 369.JPG
B-24 Diorama 370.JPG
B-24 Diorama 371.JPG
B-24 Diorama 372.JPG
B-24 Diorama 373.JPG
B-24 Diorama 374.JPG
B-24 Diorama 375.JPG

That's a nice lot of detail you adding Terry and what an old kit, looking at the box art and the plastic I would say it must be 20 years or more oil. :thumbright: :D

Thanks Vic.
The kit was first released in 1976, and this particular example is the 1991 issue, from the same moulds.
I picked this up from a "pre-owned" kit dealer at one of the Duxford air shows a few years ago, for around £20, and the current retail price is around £70, so a good deal.
The fuselage halves had some rather pronounced warping around the rear areas, so I obtained a replacement starboard fuselage from Revell, moulded in somewhat "friendlier" grey plastic. Unfortunately, I think I should have either requested the port side fuselage, or both, as the "new" part actually accentuates the problem !
Consequently, I'll be using both of the original parts, and I'm hoping I can clamp the rear joints and get then "square".

This is a big kit, and handling, and just the bench space required, is going to be a bit of a challenge during the build, which is one of the reasons I started on the "set dressing" first.
When it gets to the painting stage, I'll have to depart from my "normal" procedure of constructing the entire main kit - i.e. assembling the fuselage, wings and empennage, and paint the airframe before attaching the wings.

Thanks Hugh.

Work has now begun on the B-24, as described below.

The B-24 - Part One.

I decided that the first stage on the B-24 is to do the modifications to the fuselage, rather than start on the port outer engine cowlings and the wings.
As the B-24H-10-FO had the Ford nose, there are some distinct differences, compared to the "J" nose of the kit, with a "scalloped" recess on each side of the turret fairing, the lack of the scanning windows on the lower fuselage, different panel lines, including the distinctive Ford "S" fairing panel, and a complete lack of the various louvres and access panels, and that large bulge on the central nose, between turret and Bombardier's window.

I have yet to remove all of the fuselage panel lines ( a long and tedious job) and re-engrave them, but the forward area of panel lines have been carved off and sanded, with the "S" panel line yet to be engraved.
The "J" model louvres and panels have been removed and the areas sanded flush, although "ghost" images of these are still visible.
This area, curving around the front of the nose to a line at the rear of the turret, will have a slightly bulged fairing added, using thin plastic card and "Milliput", and contoured and sanded once the fuselage halves have been joined.
The scalloped recess was marked out, consulting 1/48th scale plans and photos, and then carved, filed and sanded to shape.
The plastic in this area was over 2mm thick, so the inside faces were thinned down with a scalpel blade and jeweller's files, before sanding the edges of the curved cut to give a chamfered, thinner appearance.
The raised frame panel around the radio room window, and the mid and rear fuselage windows, have also been sanded back a little, as they looked too pronounced.
Once all the work is completed, the areas will be polished to remove sanding marks.

I now have to spend a further three hours or so repeating this procedure on the starboard fuselage half, and then move on to opening the rear fuselage windows and the upper escape hatch, and filling the Bombardier's scanning windows. I hope to get most of this done on Sunday, but it may be Tuesday before I can continue, as I'll need to let my right eye recover after surgery on Monday..

Pics below show the progress so far, and I'll be back when able to show more.

B-24 Diorama 377.JPG
B-24 Diorama 376.JPG
B-24 Diorama 378.JPG

Thanks Vic, still plodding on.

I had another look at the rear fuselage warping, and it looks like the replacement (starboard) fuselage half will be a better option after all, so I'm working on that at the moment.
Pics when there's more to show.

The B-24 - Part One, continued.

Having decided to use the replacement starboard fuselage half, I found the grey plastic much easier to work with, as it wasn't as hard as the original "silver" plastic of the port side.
Consequently, the curved recess didn't take as long to form, and the raised detail and panel lines were easier to remove, and sand smooth, without leaving "ghost" outlines. The nose area on both halves has now had a first polish, and will be polished again once the lower turret fairing has been fabricated, and the panel line engraving done.

The lower fuselage rear windows have been opened up on both sides, and these will be glazed with clear plastic sheet later - if I can cut the shape accurately enough to fit !!
The front and mid-fuselage window panels have also been sanded back to reduce the raised appearance.

I need to re-think the camera port beneath the rear fuselage, as its location is directly in line with an internal locating pin and hole, which will definitely be needed to assist joining the fuselage halves in the area where it is warped. The port can probably be moved forward or aft a couple of mm without looking out of place, and I'll check on this when the time comes.

Pics show the latest progress, and it's now going to be Tuesday. at the earliest, before I can do any more work, as I'll need to recover from the eye operation.
(apologies for the spelling error in one of the captions - I think my keyboard has dyslexia !)

B-24 Diorama 379.JPG
B-24 Diorama 380.JPG
B-24 Diorama 382.JPG
B-24 Diorama 383.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back