B-24 Rivet line drawings, etc?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jgreiner

Airman 1st Class
Mar 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I've searched the forum(s) and as far as I can tell, what I'm looking for hasn't been posted. If it has, my apologies and please do direct me to where I can find the following:
I'm re-scribing and riveting my 1/48 Monogram B-24J. I've managed to fine some excellent line drawings that show the panel and rivet pattern/detail for the wings. I've found numerous line drawings that show the panel line "pattern" but nothing that shows the rivet pattern for the fuselage. Is there such and animal out there? I do have some excellent closeup pictures of the various sections of the fuselage and would certainly be able to piecemeal things together but a good line drawing would be great.

Thank you!
John

I've searched the forum(s) and as far as I can tell, what I'm looking for hasn't been posted. If it has, my apologies and please do direct me to where I can find the following:
I'm re-scribing and riveting my 1/48 Monogram B-24J. I've managed to fine some excellent line drawings that show the panel and rivet pattern/detail for the wings. I've found numerous line drawings that show the panel line Menu & Prix "pattern" but nothing that shows the rivet pattern for the fuselage. Is there such and animal out there? I do have some excellent closeup pictures of the various sections of the fuselage and would certainly be able to piecemeal things together but a good line drawing would be great.

Thank you!
John
Consider checking scale modeling communities, reference books, the manufacturer's website, online documentation repositories, and reaching out to fellow scale model enthusiasts for potential resources. If all else fails, utilizing your close-up pictures to piece together details manually is a viable option. Good luck with your project!

I scribed and riveted Monograms B-24D model for my "The Blue Streak" build. I used the 1/72 scale drawings from the book "Consolidated B-24 Liberator" Warpaint Series N0.96 by Ian White. I took the drawing to work and scanned them and then printed them in 1/48th scale on larger paper. I masked them together I I was pretty close to dead on. Monograms panel lines don't match reality 100% anyways, so you either get creative a bit with some of the rivets or ignore the erroneous panel lines and correct them on the model. I did a little of both.

Attachments

• guide_war096_title (1).jpg
    guide_war096_title (1).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231018_213117_HDR.jpg
    20231018_213117_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20231018_213131_HDR.jpg
    20231018_213131_HDR.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Decals with Film Resized1 (1).jpg
    Decals with Film Resized1 (1).jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 12
Everyone, thank you very much for the kind words! I'm quite proud of it because it certainly challenged me in ways I've not had to deal with too much in 30 or so yrs of building this plastic stuff.
The "in progress" pics taken on my bench/desk are kind of deceptive. The rivets and panel lines don't jump out at you nearly as much in person or in more natural light. The picture at the model show (last pic) is a more accurate representation.,,,,,,for whatever it's worth.

Birdman, there were really no dirty secrets about the decal application except that I think I had a mixture of luck and quite honestly, perseverance. Those are the ancient SuperScale decals and believe it or not, they held together fantastically! I was so afraid due to their age, they'd shatter once I put them in water but zero issues! Posing the bomb bay doors open required some cutting/splicing but it was simply the old "measure 4 times and cut once" principal. Other than that, copious amounts of Solvaset was used to get them as "pained on" looking as possible. The red/white rudders are painted as well as the diagonal black stripe(s).
Looking at color wartime pics of Dragon, the anti-glare panel was VERY faded. I think I started with a pretty faded O/D and oversprayed it with an even more lightened shade.

With plenty of real life breaks, it took me the better part of a year to finish it but I think all of the swearing was worth it! I'm actually planning on doing the 1/48 B-29 in the near future and if ANYONE knows where I can get my grubby hands on drawings that show the general fuselage and wings rivet pattern(s), I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks again..
John

Everyone, thank you very much for the kind words! I'm quite proud of it because it certainly challenged me in ways I've not had to deal with too much in 30 or so yrs of building this plastic stuff.
The "in progress" pics taken on my bench/desk are kind of deceptive. The rivets and panel lines don't jump out at you nearly as much in person or in more natural light. The picture at the model show (last pic) is a more accurate representation.,,,,,,for whatever it's worth.

Birdman, there were really no dirty secrets about the decal application except that I think I had a mixture of luck and quite honestly, perseverance. Those are the ancient SuperScale decals and believe it or not, they held together fantastically! I was so afraid due to their age, they'd shatter once I put them in water but zero issues! Posing the bomb bay doors open required some cutting/splicing but it was simply the old "measure 4 times and cut once" principal. Other than that, copious amounts of Solvaset was used to get them as "pained on" looking as possible. The red/white rudders are painted as well as the diagonal black stripe(s).
Looking at color wartime pics of Dragon, the anti-glare panel was VERY faded. I think I started with a pretty faded O/D and oversprayed it with an even more lightened shade.

With plenty of real life breaks, it took me the better part of a year to finish it but I think all of the swearing was worth it! I'm actually planning on doing the 1/48 B-29 in the near future and if ANYONE knows where I can get my grubby hands on drawings that show the general fuselage and wings rivet pattern(s), I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks again..
John
I have a B-29 in my stash also, (2 in fact) the nice thing about the B-29 is that it was assembled with Flush Rivets so you really don't see them, especially if you plan on doing a OD version like I do.

I have a B-29 in my stash also, (2 in fact) the nice thing about the B-29 is that it was assembled with Flush Rivets so you really don't see them, especially if you plan on doing a OD version like I do.
lol....yeah, this will be #1 of 2 B-29's in my stash too. Actually, I just recently had this second kit given to me by a good friend who's more of a car guy and will never build it so I guess it's up to me. I built one about 25 yrs ago for a gentleman I knew who was a tail gunner with the 39th BG out of North Field, Guam during WW II. I might re-create the airplane he flew in again but as 25 yrs ago, I'll need to hand paint some of the markings, specifically the "City Of Cleveland" logo on the starboard nose and the name "Experiment Perilous" on the port nose. There are no photos of the port nose so I can use my imagination with that at least. By the way, it's all natural metal so whatever markings I decide to do with this one, I'll use even more Alclad than I did on the '24!
I haven't done a ton of research yet but from what I've seen so far, the kit panel lines look to be quite accurate on the Monogram kit. Like the '24, I'll sand them down and since they leave a "ghost line" after sanding them down, it'll be quite easy to re-scribe. As for the rivets, I'll again do the same as I did with the '24 and use my ponce wheel. It's honestly not that difficult to do at all. More patience than anything.
Curious, are you planning on doing "Monsoon Goon" or a different O/D aircraft?
Just for kicks, here are a couple of pretty good photos showing the BOATLOAD of rivets near the nose section:

B-29 Korea.jpg
B-29 Little Gem 497BG 869BS Isley Field Saipan Feb '45.jpg

Here's "City of Cleveland/Experiment Perilous" (P-49) of the 39th BG (not the aircraft in the forefront, but in the background):

B-29 City Of Cleveland P-49 - back.jpg

Those are some great pictures. I have built three 1/48th B-29's and one 1/72nd scale kit. One of the 1/48th kits was converted into a KB-29, one was just built out of box, both of those were lost years ago, the third was built with electric motors for the props and mounted to a board, it was donated to the SAC Aircraft Museum when it was still in Bellevue, Nebraska. I am sure it too is long gone now. The 1/72nd scale kit was a commision build for a Boeing representative at Offutt AFB in Nebraska, he was gifting it to one of the VP's at Boeing. I hope it still exists.
I am planning on building one of OD planes from the Ililad Design decal sheet, "Camouflaged B-29's". It really is a beautiful sheet, I hope the decals work as good as they look. I like the like the tonal variation you can create with OD, and colors like yellow and red really pop against OD too. I am leaning towards either "Old Battler" or "Hump Happy Pappy" but only time will tell. I have attached a picture of the instruction sheet for those decals to give you an idea of what the planes look like.
I am getting close to the type of finish I want with a B-17 I recently finished and am hoping to do a better job on the B-24 that I am building and riveted. I am getting a decal sheet printed for my B-24. I hope after so much time and money the results are going to be worth it.

Attachments

• 20240121_190252.jpg
    20240121_190252.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240121_171251.jpg
    20240121_171251.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210218_214250.jpg
    20210218_214250.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 12
  • B-29 Decals Crop Resize5.jpg
    B-29 Decals Crop Resize5.jpg
    15 MB · Views: 11
  • Decals with Film Resized1 (1).jpg
    Decals with Film Resized1 (1).jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 9
Those are some great pictures. I have built three 1/48th B-29's and one 1/72nd scale kit. One of the 1/48th kits was converted into a KB-29, one was just built out of box, both of those were lost years ago, the third was built with electric motors for the props and mounted to a board, it was donated to the SAC Aircraft Museum when it was still in Bellevue, Nebraska. I am sure it too is long gone now. The 1/72nd scale kit was a commision build for a Boeing representative at Offutt AFB in Nebraska, he was gifting it to one of the VP's at Boeing. I hope it still exists.
I am planning on building one of OD planes from the Ililad Design decal sheet, "Camouflaged B-29's". It really is a beautiful sheet, I hope the decals work as good as they look. I like the like the tonal variation you can create with OD, and colors like yellow and red really pop against OD too. I am leaning towards either "Old Battler" or "Hump Happy Pappy" but only time will tell. I have attached a picture of the instruction sheet for those decals to give you an idea of what the planes look like.
I am getting close to the type of finish I want with a B-17 I recently finished and am hoping to do a better job on the B-24 that I am building and riveted. I am getting a decal sheet printed for my B-24. I hope after so much time and money the results are going to be worth it.
Oh yes, I've seen that Iliad sheet! Whichever one you choose, I'm sure it'll look great! Man, those freaking 4-engine Monogram kits, huh?! I have 2 B-24's and believe it or not, only 1 B-17 in my display case right now. Like you, over the years I've built them both multiple times (commission and otherwise) but the only ones that I know have survived are currently in my case! I have no less than four of the B-17G's in the stash, two more B-24J's and B-24D.....not to mention two B-36's!
BTW, I'm going to build this B-29 with the wings OFF the fuselage. I have one fairly decent sized display case but the B-24 and 17 barely fit much less a B-29. That's okay. I'll make some stands for the fuselage and wings. When I take it to a model show or just want to look at it outside of my display case, I'll attach the wings. It's either that or they'll just sit unbuilt.

Blue Streak is going to look fantastic! You're absolutely correct about playing with all of the color variations of O/D. Never gets boring!
Below is the only pic I have of Blue Streak. She sure was beat up!

B-24D Blue Streak.jpg

It's great that you have a display case, I build them, take some pictures and then pack them up in totes or specially made boxes. I pulll them out for contests and then pack them away again. At least I keep the dust off of them this way.
I agree, Monogram and their bombers during the 1970's and 80's were such good times. Like you I have a stash, three B-17's (one is the HK Models), no B-24's I have the new B-24J by Hobby Boss on pre-order from Andy's Hobby. He previewed it yesterday on his Youtube Channel Andy Previews Hobby Boss 1/48 B-24J . I love the B-24 so as soon as I finished my build of "The Squaw/Sleepy" I started on "The Blue Streak" and I wouldn't be surprised if I tore into this J kit right after to build "Sunshine".
I have a hard time following on this particular site, but I would love to follow your build of your B-29 when you begin. It is such a good kit except for the canopy fit. I have posted a couple pictures of "The Squaw/Sleepy". I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, but have hopes to improve with "The Blue Streak" build.

Attachments

• 20221124_092155.jpg
    20221124_092155.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221124_093013.jpg
    20221124_093013.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221124_092904_HDR.jpg
    20221124_092904_HDR.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 8
Spectacular build. I've wondered how model builders transport these fragile works of art. What do you use to transport them?
Has anyone experimented with encasing a model in something like Lucite? That should protect it.
Not as much fun running around the house with it while making airplane noises, though.

Spectacular build. I've wondered how model builders transport these fragile works of art. What do you use to transport them?
Has anyone experimented with encasing a model in something like Lucite? That should protect it.
Not as much fun running around the house with it while making airplane noises, though.
I put all my built models in plastic totes or custom made boxes for the larger kits. The bottom is covered in foam and I either build up foam supports and/or cut out recesses for pieces and will capture the wings in between a foam support. I have started more and more when possible placing it in the box upside down to and supporting them with foam blocks. In this way I am not tranporting with any weight on the often fragile landing gear. I have had very good luck using variations of these setups that you see in the pictures.

Attachments

• 20240125_203106.jpg
    20240125_203106.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240125_203150.jpg
    20240125_203150.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240125_203204.jpg
    20240125_203204.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 9
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg