B-24J Ford Conversion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rob, look closely at that photo.
The waist gun positions are glazed, as they were on all this Block number, and as shown in your other photo. They are larger than the kit apertures, and the kit will need to be altered if you want a reasonably accurate rendition of SoCo III.
The give away when identifying the window in pics which aren't clear, is the position of the 'Star and Bar' - on earlier versions, with the open waist hatches, part of the 'bar' was painted over the hatch cover which, when open and folded up inside the fuselage, showed a 'notch' in the bar.
On glazed waist windows, the 'Star and Bar' was painted lower down, beneath the window.
What Squadron really need to add is the A6 series nose turret, to allow early 'J' models to be built, as well as some 'H' models, and perhaps add a couple of different styles of Navigator's windows. The waist window conversion is so simple, they don't need to include it, and couldn't really anyway, as it's a flat panel.
BTW, that other pic of a 'J' is not exactly the same as SoCo III - it has the 'high' bombardier's scanning windows, and also carries the three Azon antenna beneath the fuselage.

still, it's pretty close to it. The windows there are probably the same shape, though. here's another 44th B-24. this one has the altered waist gunner.

42-50427 puritanical bitch 68th sqdn 2.jpg

Last edited:
Rob, this is just me, but if I'm not building the model for the scrutiny of others in a GB or Start/Finish(which I crave by the way) then I'll build the model out of the box, maybe adjust or scratch build something minor. These are the models that just my family and some friends see. While they might look at it, smile, and say "That looks nice", none of them know a B-24 from a StugIII. If you choose to go the route of altering some and leaving the rest alone, then build that sucker.

Geo

I agree with Geo - if you just want it to look like SoCo III, and you're not too bothered about the windows, then just build it out of the box. The windows can easily be added as described though, just by fitting clear plastic - no different to fitting a kit part, apart from cutting rectangular pieces of clear sheet.
And believe me, however hard you look for differences, every aircraft from that Block number had glazed windows, they were standard from that Block onwards !

okay, I'm probably gonna get flak for this. lol but, what are glazed windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back