B-25 vs. Ju-88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably, there were even reports of b-25's shooting down japanese fighters.
:twisted: Thanks for that quote. In fact, B-25s, especially when outfitted for a "strafing" role, were deadly to enemy shipping in the Pacific and to Zeros. Here's some direct qoutes from my Dad's logbook (He piloted a B-25 out of New Guinea that had been outfitted as a "strafer"--the words used at the time)
His words: "July 14, 1943, Picked up our plane. Has been converted into a strafer, 8-.50 caliber machine guns facing forward....August 18, 1943, my first mission-longest distance strafer has been. Caught many ships. Jumped by 25 Zeroes. Ran into flaming wall of Ack-Ack and MG fire-I was scared stiff-First ship ahead shot down in flames. We shot down 11 Zeroes in less than a minute and a half-P38's got 12. Roughest since Bismarck Sea Battle. Total Jap ships destroyed and in air-over 200 now."
There's lots more where Jap fighters were shot down. What's alos interesting is that around Kavieng, Alexshafen and Rabaul is that the B-25s were (at least in this Bomb Group, 5th Army Air Corps.)often accompanied by P8-38s. Now this bunch would be hell to take on headon!!!:shock:

A very interesting post, Wolfpack! Ever read the story of the B-25
Tondalayo? Sounds very much like what your Dad experienced.

I once owned a B-25J-32 that had the 8 .50's in the nose plus the two side
mounted fuselage guns for a total of 10. Of course, there were no guns
on her, just patches over the openings. I always wondered what it would
feel like to squeeze the trigger and have 10 fifties come to life! Cockpit must have had quite a burnt powder tang!

On the subject of size, the cockpit of the B-25 actually felt roomier than
a B-17's to me. I, too, was struck by the tight fit of the B-17. Some of it may have been the way the fuselage curved around the shoulders, whereas
the B-25 had a boxier arrangement. (I am not small at 6' 1" and 210 pounds, and certainly most young pilots in WW2 were smaller than me.)

A very interesting post, Wolfpack! Ever read the story of the B-25 Tondalayo?

I remember seeing a B25 strafer painted in the 345th BG colors at a Chino Airshow back in the 80's.

It was the 499th BG I believe, the "Bat-Out-Of-Hell" squadron.Had the big blue bat on the nose.

To TwoEagles:, and thanks by the wayAs soon as I figure out how to post a good quality picture, I post the one of the plane I'm talking about. They were highly recognizable because of the 8 '.50s (plus cannon) in the nose but more so because the .50s stuck out of a Wolf's gaping mawl--hence the name. Dad named the squadron after his highschool football team, the Williamson "WolfPack", so each plane had a wolfs head on the business end of the nose. They were in 71st Bmb. Sqd., 38th. Bmb. Grp, 5th Army-Air Corps. I'll post some arials of the Wolfpack in formation and some "censored" shipping damage (as soon as I figure out how to post pics on here!!).

Well, maybe not relevant but a nice picture anyway.

gallery_10_58_24112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back