B-25 weapons thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Paul,
I think the second photo shows a spray-system for testing of ice building on the propeller blades, not a de-icing system. I think I have a more detailed description of this system in a book, but need more time to find it.
As for the first photo I think the text says it all: this was spraying with DDT (wrongly described as DTD) against mosquitos (and other insects). AFAIK it's still used to control malaria-carrying mosquitoes in some regions. At that time DDT was promoted as a wonder-chemical and used even in near proximity to people!
The name of the a/c "Smoke OH!" is just a coincidence I guess.
If the text describes some other function in the first part (...but no oil burned...") and the device shown on the photo is e.g. a "smoke screen machine", I don't know more about it.
Cheers!

Many thanks for your input Yves, If I find more info I will add it. Just love finding all of these unusual aspects of the B-25.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your input Yves, If I find more info I will add it. Just love finding all of these unusual aspects of the B-25.
You are welcome! I love the many different faces of the "Mitchell" too.
I went through all my books today, but couldn't find the photo with the ice-building "sprayers". Then I checked my photo-collection and found the back of the same photo, describing the exact purpose of the test installation - I'll post it here:

There is a fun factor around these photos too - they have been posted earlier this year! Check here: North American B-25 Mitchell, post # 46.
This proves two things:
1. I have a good memory for what's on the photo.
2. I have a terrible memory where did I see it before.
Cheers!
P.S. And a small addition to the modification of G-model with 4+ guns in the nose. One can easily determine if this is a B-25G or a B-25H (if no other important details are to be seen on the photo) by the positioning of the 4 guns: the modified G-models have the 4 guns in one row as shown before:

The H-models have the 4 guns in 2 rows (the middle 2 are higher):

The blister guns are always different too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Yves, I noticed that as well when you mentioned the difference in your first thread. I wonder why the center two where slightly here then the outside two like they did on the modified G model. I found this a couple of days back that you might find interesting.

Yep, I believe these are the original USAAF photos showing the design of the rocket installation for a B-25. Somewhere in the forum I remember posting a scheme with the sequence of firing the rockets.
Meanwhile I found a nice poster showing the above discussed device for propeller ice-building testing:

Last edited:

Page 6 thread 104 shows on this subject shows a picture of the firing order of the rockets. Nice poster on the propeller ice building testing.

Page 6 thread 104 shows on this subject shows a picture of the firing order of the rockets.
Oh, this was your earlier post - I was thinking of mine in a different thread:
North American B-25 Mitchell, post#106. These nice details always come to light again (sooner or later).
BTW I found a funny description in a B-25-book about the rocket arrangement, see below:

Does anybody see six rockets?
I spy...2 more HVARs.

I have read several accounts of B-25's dropping supplies to troops in the jungle in the Pacific. Does anyone have pictures of a B-25 dropping supplies or having it loaded into a B-25.

Thanks Paul

My next door neighbor flew B-25's in WWII in the Med. They had C and D models but some pictures from the Med show B-25's with tail gun installations rather similar to (but not identical) those used on the B-25J and H models, even though they have the top turret in the aft position. My neighbor told me that his unit had a field modification that added the guns and a small gunner's canopy to the tail. I would guess that lacking a belly turret they wanted some way to clear their low six-o'clock area.

Very cool and many thanks for sharing the story

In the Squadron "B-25 In Action" book there is a picture of such B-25's in formation with a caption noting the tail gun positions and speculating what they were.

In the Squadron "B-25 In Action" book there is a picture of such B-25's in formation with a caption noting the tail gun positions and speculating what they were.

Yep seen it if you go to page 11 of this thread you will find more tail modifications for the B-25 that are unusual

Last edited:
This is one of those modified B-25Gs, but take a look at the strange attachment under the wing. I believe this is a blister gun mounted far back over the bomb bay. Note the protection/anti-blast plate mounted in front of the gun. I think I've seen this configuration only one time so far. And check the guns coming out of the canon's port. They look too small compared with the .50 cals above. I believe those are 0.30 cal.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Interesting layout to say the least, Here is the one I saw a while back that may have the same layout. Found on the web but don't remember where. Lower left hand side looks to be something under the wing. Guessing a different aircraft as there is no blood on the teeth of this aircraft's mouth compared to the one above

Last edited:
Yep, it's definitely a different a/c - the form of the teeth is not the same as in the first photo.
Looking at your photo and going back to the first one I see now that the middle two guns (the added ones) are of smaller calibre too.
These are "Mitchells" from the 823-rd BS./38-th BG. with a great probability in New Guinea. Here is an interesting description I found in the War Diaries of the 823-rd BS. for Jan.9 1944:

I'm not sure if the description is accurate - I've never seen a G-model with 8 guns in the nose (6 at the maximum). The other 4 are for the 2 packs with blister guns. There might be a more detailed description of the armament but I never had the time to check all the Diaries. The latter could be downloaded from the 38-th BG. Association page here:
823rd AFHRA Documents
BTW the same configuration can be seen on a B-25G from the 822-nd BS. too. The blister gun looks like a single one to me. The 6 guns in the nose are all 0.50 cal.

Photo copied from here:
Photo Gallery # 10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread