B-25 weapons thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yves, I just happened to see this picture in the photo gallery of the 77th bomb squadron I had posted before but just noticed this picture. Looks to have under wing drop tanks but what are the two posts where the arrows are pointing or anyone else that would know for that matter?

Source

Never mind probably the tail LOL Must be getting close to time to go to bed. Its hell when you work nights

Some may find this interesting. Pages are from Mediterranean Allied Tactical Airforce Air intelligence bulletin.

View attachment 615036View attachment 615037View attachment 615038View attachment 615039View attachment 615040
This is so cool. I wasn't aware of this article. Are you referring to the monthly Air intelligence and Ops bulletins? If so, which volume and number issue is this from? I'd love to find a copy so I can have the full technical bulletin on the 57th BW planes. Thanks!

Not the best picture but the only one I know of a B-25 Mitchell dropping a mine. Picture from the book Eagles, Bulldogs & Tigers. History of the 22nd Bomb Squadron in China-Burma-India.

View attachment 641895
Paul, I have a surprise for you: there is a movie on YouTube called Deploying Mines at Sea from Aircraft in World War 2 showing the whole procedure of arming, loading and dropping aerial mines. It's done by the Marines so I believe the a/c in the movie are early PBJ-1C/D, but no radars are visible. They have their belly turrets too. Have fun!

Very cool Yves, I had not seen that. Lot of interesting data there. Many many thanks. Hoping things slow down a bit here as I have not had much time to research as of late but with winter coming I am hoping to change that. Again many thanks

Morning Chris, I found them here. CONTENTdm in there collection though they do not have all the issues. Cover looks like this. I think they have four or five issues currently posted and some info in all of them.

Very cool Yves, I had not seen that. Lot of interesting data there. Many many thanks. Hoping things slow down a bit here as I have not had much time to research as of late but with winter coming I am hoping to change that. Again many thanks
You are welcome! The interesting part of the story is that I've seen this movie for the first time weeks ago. I didn't recall your post at that time. Today Chris Hammerbeck had a question for you and brought me back to this thread. Then I remembered your earlier question and... 1+1=2 .
You are right - not much time for in dept articles and postings. I too hope the winter season will give me more time to post some of my "Mitchell encounters". Recently I read some of them, written or collected between 2007 and 2012. It was a big WOW for me - I have forgotten more than 50% of what I knew at that time. Now I must check my own posts in forums here and there to bring it back.

Hi Paul, just wondering if you possibly have a period photo showing the nose-cone installation of the single (flexible) .30 cal gun, as fitted to the earlier Block numbers of the B-25C/D (Mitchell II), before Block numbers B-25C-5NA and B-25D-5NA.
I've seen the drawing earlier in this thread, which appears to show a bracket for an ammo box, on the left (feed) side of the receiver, rather than a belt feed, as used on the later .50 cal installation, and a photo would help to confirm this.
I'm planning on building the recent Revell (ex AM) B-25D kit as an early Mitchell II in RAF service (and also almost finished an article on the Mitchell in RAF service, which I'll post on the forum when completed.).

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

EDIT : Oops! Sorry Paul, just found a pic, showing exactly what I need, in the Jerry Scutts book. Somehow, I missed it when searching earlier !

Last edited:

Agreed, I have stuff all over the place. Just have not had time to get my notes or anything else together as of late. I am still stock piling stuff as I run across things but need to badly organize things. Oh well, at least 13 more years till I can even consider retiring.

Example, one of the aircraft I want to look more info on and don't remember where I found picture but I believe its a ANAPQ-7 bombing radar but have not had time to dig further.

Thank you! Found them and so much more. Cheers!

Your welcome Chris, keep going back as they are updating about once a month with new stuff. I have downloaded a lot of the RAAF intelligence reports recently but have not had time to read them or see if they have any info in any of them on the B-25.

Yves I also have not had time to study this picture much in detail but this I found on that link of soviet aircraft you posted a couple of threads back. One of the Soviet modifications they did was to move the navigation equipment to the nose. This picture might show some of that modification. Just have not had time to verify but you might find interesting.

Yep, I've studied this photo before but mostly because of the ball and socket mount for the 0.30 gun seen in the upper right corner. There is a difference between the mounts used in the very early B-25NA, A and B compared to early C and D models. Your photo shows a later type (K-2) as per the scheme you posted earlier, post # 429. Compare with earlier mounts, here on a B-25B "Tokyo Raider"; the earliest types have black covers on the outside:

The later ones are protruding:

As for you question: I know from Russian publications and sites about the fact that the Soviets didn't have a bombardier but a "shturman" who was both, navigator and bombardier. I'm not sure if they could move all the equipment from the navigator's to the bombardier's station and I believe both compartments have been used but in a different way. On the photo in question the dial in a lighter frame is for sure not part of the original equipment. The 2 boxes with dials over the bombardiers hand are also not as per original equipment - see below.

I might have some more detailed description of those changes somewhere in the archive, but couldn't find it just "at a glance".
Cheers!

Last edited:
Morning Yves,

Yeah its on my list to do more digging, I do have a couple of Soviet B-25 Mitchell manuals in Russian. If I get a chance I will post them here after work. Just need more time

As promised the two aircraft manuals I have on the Soviet B-25 Mitchell.

Link corrected as stated below by Yves is Dutch LOL

Attachments

• Б-25 Инструкция лётчику 1944.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 81
  • B-25 Dutch manual.pdf
    20.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Paul, the one called "Russian manual" is in Dutch. Maybe it's misplaced/misnamed in your archive.
Humm, ok, never new that. Source I got them from both said Russian LOL. So that is a surprise. Renamed file and many thanks. Guess I have one now of Dutch, Soviet, British and RAAF on the B-25.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread