Several posts in this (and other) thread(s) deal with different B-25 armament modifications. Modified "Mitchells" are my soft point and wherever I see a photo, I must collect it and research the real a/c. recently I came across the colour profile of an anti-submarine B-25D-5 s/n 41-30143, called "Stinky". Below is also a photo of the plane. I have 2 more photos - see attached.
Unfortunately none of the photos shows the rear part of the fuselage. The artist took the liberty depicting this a/c with a dubious waist window and a tail gun. Basically using the MTO-modification as seen in the 321st, 340th, 12th etc. BGs. In fact NONE of the ASW-B-25 was modified in this particular way. It is too obvious that one cannot have waist guns and a belly turret together.
Here's a photo of a different plane from the same batch (I believe "Stinky" could be in the background). You can easily see the correct rear fuselage without waist- or tail-guns.
Note that "Stinky" (and the other B-25D-5 shown) has the "finger" flame dampeners and not the single exhausts!
Cheers!
Unfortunately none of the photos shows the rear part of the fuselage. The artist took the liberty depicting this a/c with a dubious waist window and a tail gun. Basically using the MTO-modification as seen in the 321st, 340th, 12th etc. BGs. In fact NONE of the ASW-B-25 was modified in this particular way. It is too obvious that one cannot have waist guns and a belly turret together.
Here's a photo of a different plane from the same batch (I believe "Stinky" could be in the background). You can easily see the correct rear fuselage without waist- or tail-guns.
Note that "Stinky" (and the other B-25D-5 shown) has the "finger" flame dampeners and not the single exhausts!
Cheers!
Last edited: