B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greetings Wojtek, John, Dr. Huge, Andy and Goerge ... BTW, I will follow your advice John to be careful, and finally I will first work the top (which is where I started), and as I said it is two sessions of technique of salt, finishing with the white layer of the top, then I will work the bottom part.
This is due to the size of the plane ... In the case of a single-seater model, it is easier to put salt in the entire fuselage and make this first part in a single application.

This is how the salt was applied at the top ...

588.jpg
589.jpg
590.jpg

Recommend leaving it dry a couple of hours before applying the white.

Thank you for your visits and comments, any questions I will try to answer as soon as possible.

We will continue here working on "Sharky"

Saludos y hasta pronto :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out Luis! You can speed up the process by drying the salt with a hairdryer - it won't blow off! I also only tend to use the technique on the uppers, I'm not sure it's an appropriate effect for the undersides of aircraft.

Your comment could be logical, Kirby; I thought the same, ... but when watching the video tutorial and appreciate the final result, it gives an appearance of use, dirt and stains in the paint.
The two stages with the salt technique are first with white and the second with black.
It is important to consider that each color (black and white) has different sections on the plane where it predominates more than one other and differs where the sun hits it, where the engines and nacelles heat up more, etc., and it is the correct application that will give the desired effect.
I hope it works for me, and that the photos can be explicit enough. :rolleyes:
In addition to the workload in my business does not allow me to spend the time I wanted at this time. That's why I'm working like "drop counts" ...! o_O

I hope to continue advancing and soon to share the photos. I appreciate your visits and comments.

Gracias y saludos :thumbup:

I'm a bit worried if you spray pure white and black on those surfaces Luis-Carlos. The effect when using just a slight variation of the underlying colour can be quite pronounced so be very careful! Maybe do a trial on another plastic surface first?

Thanks for the comment, Andy, the ratio of thinner (in this case IPA) and paint, is to fill 3/4 parts of the cup of the airbrush with IPA and the paint that picks up the tip of a brush, and shake it well. and it is the same proportion for black and white.
In the case of white (I already applied it on the top and on the loose pieces), the appearance of the liquid is like putting in a spoonful of water, a couple of drops of milk. It is a fairly diluted mixture, precisely to have a better opportunity to deepen the desired effect.
Something important is that the pressure of the airbrush is between 5 and 8 PSI, which also prevents the grains from falling off the salt.
I appreciate your interest and concern, we are really doing a good job all together, thank you all very much.

:notworthy: :thumbup:

I'm a bit worried if you spray pure white and black on those surfaces Luis-Carlos. The effect when using just a slight variation of the underlying colour can be quite pronounced so be very careful! Maybe do a trial on another plastic surface first?

I think I'm with Andy here. I use highly thinned light grey and a black/brown mixture, sometimes overlaid.

side close up web.jpg

I also maintain this effect is best used on upper surfaces to simulate stains, splatters, and general fading whereas weathering on undersurfaces should predominantly be streaking, accumulated grime and a few stains. Remember how gravity works and that undersides are not exposed to the elements in the same way as the upper surfaces.

underside finished web.jpg

It's been a while since I was able to post on my thread. :oops:

It's a very good job in your Corsair, Kirby. The intention is to achieve a similar effect. =D>

I have some photos to share and I want to take advantage of this break to share them.
In post # 620 I started the process of the propellers, these are the first photo when I applied the yellow for the tips and now the decals are already applied:

591.jpg
592.jpg

I need to work on the weathering, wear and friction of the blades with the wind.

A couple of objects (the pitot and ¿? :-k) also with some work still pending to be finished.

593.jpg

The advance of the legs of the landing gear and the hydraulic supports that hold raised "the chest of the tip".

594.jpg

Practically finished the legs ...

595.jpg
596.jpg

... but unfortunately I broke one of the hydraulic supports :banghead:. But I have already contemplated how I will replace them (I will have to do both to take advantage and improve the appearance) :dontknow:

597.jpg
598.jpg

... and thus, the list of works that I must do to correct or redo some parts or processes has increased, due to some "accidents" suffered.

From the following photo, the three bombs were detached from the inside of the bomb bay and from the rims I have to correct some slight "brush errors". The engines are in good condition!

599.jpg

It is clear to me that it is "part of the job" to suffer and learn from these setbacks.
Unfortunately sometimes coincide with a period of some pressure with departures from the city and work commitments that saturate my days and the inertia in our hobby is lost, demeriting the inspiration to do a good job.
Soon I share the photos with the result of the application of white with the technique of salt, ... I liked the result, but I did that almost two weeks ago!

See you soon y muchas gracias por acompañarme :thumbup:

Now I show you those images from two weeks ago!

They are close-ups to the result I got after applying the first layer of white with the technique of salt.
This is the section of the jaw, I liked the subtle effect. And the unfortunate thing was to have suffered the break of the leg #-o... another one of the pending repairs to be done ... :sad3:

600.jpg
601.jpg
602.jpg

The airplane in general looks good and I am satisfied with the result of this first application.
The result obtained in the emblems of the wings, I liked it.

603.jpg
604.jpg
605.jpg

The application of the second phase of the salt technique is in the same proportion of dilution, but now it will be with a brown / black mixture and it will still improve the appearance, mainly in the white areas of the decals.

... :-k ... :-s ...
The current situation in which I find myself (between trips, work and economic and work commitments) asks me for a "brief space" to take up again the appropriate mental level to be able to work correctly in such a beautiful project that I have achieved now.

So for that I will be a little bit distracted by another modeling project, which I think will take me much less time and also on a WWII plane (soon I will give the details and the advance in a new thread :bag:... and I will try to do it less demanding and stressful in the details), ... what I hope I can resume work soon with our "Shark Mouth" for the conclusion of her.
I'll post here what comes up and I'll be answering your kind comments.
This is not over yet [-X, it's just a slight break during the process.

I hope to have explained correctly, receive a strong greeting to where they are.

Seguimos en contacto :thumbup:

Very nice. And another build thread coming soon, awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back