B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work continues.
That's right, Andy, ... the work continues, ...:nailbiting:
Beaut work Luis.
Gracias amigo, son halagos bien recibidos :shy:

In order to create these "cowl formers", ... it seems that after some attempts with different materials and options, I was inclined for what I should have taken from the beginning :!:... but, I would not have verified that my others ideas "they were not feasible" :meh: (at least for this one)

From a thin sheet of styrene, I pulled out a strip of approximately 1.5 mm.
I made three parallel slots and with a sharp tip I made the holes for each rivet.
Note that there are 10 pairs of holes in the single cowling (green z.ch.), and 5 pairs in the two pieces of the rear opening (matt aluminum) ...

614.jpg
615.jpg
616.jpg
617.jpg

Before putting them in place, I decided to add a little more wiring and tubes (this time I used welding wire of different calibers that I just bought - they were very useful and easy to handle -)

618.jpg
619.jpg

... after a wash with oils, it seems that this idea was finished.

620.jpg
621.jpg
622.jpg

I hope it is to your liking, and I think I will continue with the canopy (I also have to see if a crazy idea is possible that I have about it ...:crazy:)

Excellent weekend and here we continue to see.

Muchas gracias y saludos :thumbup:

The Academy kit offers two versions to choose one of them; however it includes three canopies, which allowed me to think about the possibility of doing the pilot's and co-pilot escape hatch, ... and ... in the sixth photograph of post # 385 at the end of last February, you can see for the first time, that escape hatch (since then I had planned to try it :rolleyes:).

These are the three canopies, ... clearly, at the center is the one that I "removed" the hatch.
The one on the left is the original that will remain with the hatch closed.
The one at right is where I will make the hole, to prostrate the open hatch that months ago I cut.

623.jpg

The adjustment of the canopies in the cockpit and the way they are fastened, without the need for glue, allowed me to decide to do the two options (with the hatch open and closed), and at the same time, have access to see the inner pit ... :D

... the surgical process ... :nurse:

624.jpg
625.jpg
626.jpg

During the surgery, ...:hurting: the glass in the upper right window took a slight accidental scratch with the Dremel, which after passing with fine sandpapers from 6000 to 12000 and applying Novus 2, could be corrected practically to 100% (imagine the time which took me during the restoration process :dead2:)

627.jpg

Afterwards, I submerged the three pieces in Future and let them drain during the night.
That's how they woke up today, with the two images in the background, that inspired me to do this madness.

628.jpg

(the images on the monitor are from the internet)

I had to try the two options taking their place ... [-(

629.jpg
630.jpg

Here I show you the three pieces (the hatch escape is not yet in place)

631.jpg

I hope sometime during the weekend, to start with the masking and if possible to detail a little with the rods, lock pins and hatch release, ... and then paint everything.

632.jpg

Ya veremos como resulta! ... Saludos :thumbup:

Nice work! I second what Geo said, dunno if I'd be brave enough to try that! :shock:

Good lord i been away to long from this site. Looking really great as always Luis. Do you ever enter model contest. This would be a winner for sure. Love all the extra detail you are adding. Something rarely seen on B-25 model builds :)

Very brave using a Dremel but it worked :thumbright:

Nice work! I second what Geo said, dunno if I'd be brave enough to try that! :shock:
George and Chad, ... I believe that bravery is more an adventure to discover the scope and try to make some ideas come true. :idea::arrow:...
This has to do with the taste for what I do in this hobby. It is also true that it took me a long time to make the decision after having matured practically since the beginning of the year.
Another great advantage is that it had 3 canopies, which would mean: 2 failed opportunities and having the correct piece intact as a last option. :-k
What I did so far was "sacrifice" the 1st. canopy to get the hatch escape. Risk the 2nd. making the hole to try my idea of the open hatch ... And with the 3rd. have assured the original canopy if the attempt failed.
But now it is possible that if the 2nd one goes well, I could have the option of using both in an indistinct way.
:hotsun:
Hahaha, my review is a bit strange (written talk), but I'm glad to do it and share it.

Gracias por lo motivación e inspiración para disfrutar esto.

Regards :thumbup:

Good lord i been away to long from this site. Looking really great as always Luis. Do you ever enter model contest. This would be a winner for sure. Love all the extra detail you are adding. Something rarely seen on B-25 model builds :)
Hello Brian, yes you have been absent for a while.
You can see that we have been entertained in our "shark mouth", including a short break to regain strength ...:laughing6:
I appreciate your enthusiastic comment and I'm glad to see you again fb friend (I'll look to see news with your fb page)

Gracias y seguimos en contacto. :thumbup:

Thank you gentlemen for your words. ;)

In this phase of masking, I want to alternate some materials that I have for this purpose ...

633.jpg

I must say that in the case of the Parafilm M, I tried to do it in one piece and it was a little complicated, ... what I had to do is do it in parts, it would definitely have been easier and the need to cover some gaps with Micro Mask, it would have been minimal.
On the other hand, I had no major problem with Tamiya's flexible white and yellow tape. As for the Vallejo Liquid Mask, I can say that it is very efficient, if you are going to paint once dry and you do not have to "touch" the green parts. Although they are dry, they are very sticky :confused:.
The same does not happen with MM, who does not have that problem.

634.jpg

The inner part of the canopies, was very interesting making cuts in the pieces of tape, to conform to the concave surface.

635.jpg
636.jpg

These pieces are ready to go to paint !! :cool:

Now I am in the process of working on the escape hatch, and looking closely at these two images ... :pompous:

1.jpg
2.jpg

(images obtained on the internet)

:wacky:... I got into the idea of making that structure of rods and interior handle, but I'm halfway there :facepalm:, I hope to have news for you soon.

Greetings and good evening from these latitudes of the planet. :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

The time has come ...

I started by masking the upper windows, to use them on the counter part of the windows by below.

637.jpg

So these were the 6 masks to cover the 3 windows on both sides ...

638.jpg

... the inside of the hatch is ready!

639.jpg

I used the liquid mask from Vallejo initially to cover some remaining details.

640.jpg
641.jpg

The next day was when I discovered that although it has dried the LM, it is very sticky and it is difficult to manipulate the little piece, if you still have to work on it ...:scratch:
So I decided to remove it all and work more freely with the bits of styrene and wires.
The acupuncture needles were the best choice because they are thin, straight and resistant for straight rods.
Of the three options of wire for the inner handle, I chose the copper wire because it is the most proportional to the scale.

642.jpg

... I made two small holes to install the new handle and in one of the attempts to hold it with a sharp jeweler's clip, ... it simply disappeared from my sight and was lost in space !! 8-[
I did it again with the copper wire, and I made two more (so as not to waste time [-(), but again Morphy's law was fulfilled and when I had two spare parts, the first attempt was enough and the piece remained in place ...:rolleyes:
(I sell two copper handles, in case someone is interested) :occasion5:

643.jpg

Now I use the liquid mask of Microscale in the spaces that are necessary and I will let it dry with all the calm until tomorrow.

644.jpg
645.jpg

I hope that tomorrow both canopies are painted.

Let's enjoy the weekend!! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back