B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I finished with the bombs, ... I was missing the yellow stripes for the 100 lbs bombs, and purples stripes for incendiaries.
View attachment 505732
Hi Sancer!
I don't understand why a sea search plane stationed in Florida will need incendiary bombs?

Looking at your bigger bombs IMHO those are depth charges (bombs).

The depth charges with the flat nose are AN-Mk.47 with 2 types of explosives: TNT and Torpex. Yellow stenciled bombs are TNT, blue stenciled are Torpex. No lines on the fins.
Now about their colour: I remember that the USNavy depth charges and bombs were grey or light grey overall:

But the US Army resp. USAAF ordnance is usually green (OD, bronze green) as on the top photo.
Cheers!
P.S. This book can give you a lot more information (if needed) about army and navy ordnance. One can find it here.

Last edited:
Hi Sancer!
I don't understand why a sea search plane stationed in Florida will need incendiary bombs?...
Thank you CATCH 22 for visiting and I thank you very much for your comment. The comments, knowledge and sharing your splendid photographs have been very helpful.
You are absolutely right about the reality of bombs in our version of "Shark Mouth".
In the post # 277 and # 286 I talk about it and with the intention of being able to show the different types included in the kit, I state and I am sure that it is not possible for the real plane and its squadron to use them in their entirety.
This Academy kit brings 4 different types of bombs and the instruction sheet only talks about one of them in the bomb bay.
Again, thanks for your intervention, I love to continue learning from these aircraft, and your knowledge and experience will always be welcome.

Saludos cordiales hasta Canadá

In the post # 277 and # 286 I talk about it and with the intention of being able to show the different types included in the kit, I state and I am sure that it is not possible for the real plane and its squadron to use them in their entirety.
Hi Sancer!
Your thread is so big and I visit it only from time to time, so I obviously missed the above mentioned postings. You absolutely correctly described the depth charges there. If I have seen your decision to paint them grey earlier I would tell you the same - navy bombs are grey, green or even yellow, army bombs/depth charges are green.
But I still don't understand why did you call the depth charges incendiaries lately? This was the only reason to write here again - nothing serious in fact.
Cheers!

Hola de nuevo mi estimado CATCH 22!!
Surely it was a mental lapse among so many types of bombs, and as you say, I talked about them so long ago, that I confused the correct term. Thank you for clarifying my mistake and not creating confusion. I have enough to continue learning ...

Un abrazo

... working a little on repairs and finalizing details ...
... the broken front leg of the landing gear, ... and the well-known technique to correct and strengthen the piece ...

The instruments that go on the dashboard panel. I had to do several tests to give the correct distances and that when placing the canopy, there no where future surprises.

For the antenna supports, I changed the plastic parts with pins, to which I slightly thinned the tips, according to real images. Of the last details will be to place the cables of the antennas.

With everything and the counterweight that I used before closing the fuselage, when testing the position of the airplane on its landing gear, the weight of the tail, was still tilting it backwards !! ... ... my only option was to fill the hole that the ammunition box of the front cannons has ... and I did it with small balls of lead used in sport fishing.

I had to cut some of them in half and crush them with tweezers to make the most of the existing space ...

With a small strip of Tamiya tape, I made the detail of the washer and lever to fix the open position of the tip.

The lead that I used to fill in the last available space ... was enough (thanks God ) .
I made a dry fit with all the pieces of the tip and Sharky held without any difficulty on his three legs ...

This is all for now. Greetings and good start to the week.

Fantastic build mate
Thanks Paulo, she is being "muy padre" ... It is a long, long process but it is paying off. And we are many involved in these results.

Glad you were able to correct the tail sit at this late stage.
It was good luck Andy, there was no other way without having to go into surgery.

Now this is without a doubt a work of love. marvelous work.
I agree with you, Don, everyone has contributed from the heart and it's pure inspiration.

Soon we can enjoy her finished.

Thanks George, sometimes I laugh about everything that we have gone through with this construction, ... it has definitely been an other 100% OOB project, but taken to the extreme with improvisations !!

These are the last 20 photographs of the conclusion of the armed process.
I gave the tires a small "powder" to simulate dirt and dust (a mixture of two chalks). It was just a matter of aligning the tires well and resting on the floor in the correct position and then applying Tamiya's ETC.

The three central formation lights, I reconstructed them with a droplet of MKK and after get dry transparently, apply a cyano coating, then paint them with silver metallic (Humbrol # 11) and then clear blue (Tamiya X23)

In this last photo you can see the 7 formation lights and you can see the 2 bomb formation lights (white and red) on the tail.

The recognition lights and the position ligt at the under side ...

One of the floodgates of the bomb bay and one of the access stairs, came off during the maneuvers, so I had to put them back in their position.
I do not know if it works or if it is correct, but first I fixed them with ETC and once dry, I strengthened the union with cyano.

The placement of the escape window of the pilot, was a bit demanding with precision and good pulse. Once again looking for a discreet application of cyano, so as not to stain the pieces or any excess becomes noticeable.

The last photo of this first part is this tiny piece on the outside.

If someone can illustrate me with the correct name and its usefulness, I promise that I will not forget and I will have learned something new today.

I'm coming back ...

Looking very attractive Luis. I can only imagine how great this work must look in person, as the close up pictures usually show up blemishes that are not easily visible to the naked eye, but your aircraft looks fantastic even up close. I really enjoy your builds with how you share so well each step and how you do things. Looking forward to this one being finished and can't wait to see what you are planning for your next build. Any chance we can have a hint?

Chad

I appreciate your quick response, my friend, it is likely that someone else will clarify the doubt, about those venturi tubes.

For the cable of the antennas, I used a wire of 0.12 mm and with cyan I fixed the three cables in the four end points.

Due to the "apparent failure" in the right engine of our Shark Mouth, I had to dirty with a little oil and smoke the inside of the part discovered behind the engine.

The last two pieces to place of our project, are the "shark head" of the tip with its supports and then the ammunition box with its two 50 mm guns

It took me a lot of work to assemble the two "canes" inside the piece and achieve that the central part that rests on the fuselage (in front of the windshield), causing some resistance. I'm going to tell you the review:
I had to handle the needles (canes, hydraulic arms, however...) very carefully. I had to make small folds in them with a tweezers, so that the tension was less. The minutes passed and I lacked a third arm to better control the correct position of the piece and then use the cyano to join that central part of the bottom of the piece in its correct position, centered and leveled !!
One of the needles (hydraulic arms - sticks) came off one time and I had to repeat it with cyano ... it really was almost a nightmare.
After several attempts and trying to reduce the tension that still had to have the whole set in the correct position, I ventured to make a single attempt and thinking what to do in case I made a cyan batter, one of the arms would come off , some piece was broken, etc.
I had to mount the piece a little more back on the fuselage (in front of the windshield), use the minimum enough for the cyano to resist the tension and not drip on the fuselage ... !!
The attempt came out much better than the tragedy I was sensing. My hands almost got bogged down trying not to move my posture while I was drying the cyano (I could not use an external arm as on other occasions, because the pressure to procure the correct position was much greater). Once it was fixed, then I put the last piece in its place ...
...the pictures:

In this photo you can see the tension that the piece supports because of the way the right arm is bent!!

... and this photo shows that the piece was traveled to the right approximately 1 millimeter ... but I think I can live with that!

I had not experienced on my brief history as a modeler, strug, suffer and sweat with an adaptation (of mine) to a model, "in the last and final action" ready to finish, with the possibility of putting the original idea of my project at risk.
But I feel that I was successful and much better than I expected.
I could not stop commenting this with you.

Well this is the LAST PHOTOGRAPH of our B-25G "Shark Mouth" in the work table that saw her born.

Here in Mexico City, it has been rainy days with few hours of sunshine (usually during working hours), so I'll wait until I have the time to take the pictures I'll upload to "La Galería de SANCER" with this new bird to the collection.

We will already comment on what comes out of your kind words, doubts and comments. I can tell you that nothing else I went up in this thread a total of 765 photographs, without considering the infinity of excellent images, documents, files and diagrams that many of you contributed to make this airplane come true.

Thank you all for making you present throughout these months with all your visits and / or contributions.

Through here we continue until the next project.

Saludos
Luis Carlos

Hello Chad, your words are very flattering. It has been another long project (10 months), although the current record has my B-24D Liberator with almost 16 months!
They have been bombers to which I have put a lot of creativity and work, and I do not always have the time I wanted to be able to dedicate myself to this.
As you know, all my planes have been OOB and they have really been my testing laboratory for different techniques seen or suggested and I continue to learn and practice in this hobby that I love.

Regarding my next project, I think it will definitely be a single-engine plane of the RLM, and I have a few from Eduard ... we'll see
(I always say that I do not want to complicate a lot with its construction, but usually occur some crazy ideas)

Saludos

Users who are viewing this thread