B-47 Beautiful bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a lot of respect for the controllers at busy airports. The level of stress is, as you know, very high.

I have a lot of respect for the controllers at busy airports. The level of stress is, as you know, very high.
You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.
When I was in the Nav, I used to go out to the GCA/RAPCON trailer with a buddy on a slow night and play bridge with the two controllers on duty. After each set, we would move ninety degrees around the table, and whoever was by the scope had to put on the headset and work any traffic that called in. This sometimes got a little hilarious as a non-controller tried to sound professional over the air while being coached in the other ear. Fortunately, traffic in Key West airspace during the graveyard shift was mighty rare.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
I remember as a kid climbing around in the cockpit of a B-47 at LAFB, yes every fifties kid's idea of a cool airplane! The guy I ice skate with every day was an electronics warfare officer on one before going on to a varied career including the B-52. The two EWO's rode in a capsule in the bomb bay. On takeoff they sat in the isle below the pilots then entered their station via access through the nose wheel well into the bomb bay.

The Boeing B-47 Stratojet was certainly a beautiful aircraft particular for its role as the first all jet bomber to be introduced to SAC.

Then came the Convair B-58 Hustler. For me, true elegance with its delta swept wing design. Sorry to the Stratojet and BUFF fans but I think the Hustler wins the beauty contest; simply one mans opinion.

In the air or on the ground one sleek airframe

Way too much Hustler info here
View: https://youtu.be/0M8rzZB4qww

Users who are viewing this thread