B47e 1/72nd by frog

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
following on from an interesting post/thread on here compering the b47 to the vulcan i thought i'd dust off another rare test shot kit by frog from my collection,the b47 was by far the largest 1/72nd kit made by frog although the part count was not very high,the kit was released in 1969 so this test shot must predate that,the test shots that were run on this mound in the mid 70's before they were sent to russia were all in dark blue plastic instead of the silver of the early kits,pics to follow shortly once i get started,there are so few parts the kit will go together quite quickly with most of the time taken with the paint work,i'm not sure how i plan to finish her at the moment as there are no markings or colour schemes ,

thanks for looking

Sounds very interesting Bob, but slightly concerned that you're building test shots -- to collectors, they are the Crown jewels, even though I personally think that a kit should be built and not horded.

Hi Terry i believe that they should be used for what they were for,i can't see the sense in having loads of kits if you just look at them in the box or bags as the test shots are found,most of these kits were deformed or of poor quality and were merely for testing the mound prior to a production run to iron out its faults my Lancaster test shot proves the point as the bomb bay was misformed causing me loads of work to put right

bob3175.jpg

bob3193.jpg

bob3170.jpg

bob3189.jpg

pics showing the kits progress basically the body ,flight deck,and wings amount to 7 parts in total so hard not to put together quickly,the usual problems with a test shot are starting to show already ,there is a slight bend in the main fuselage that is not correctable and one of the inboard engines has its mounting holes in the wrong place and will need correcting but at least this kit appears complete unlike the lancaster

thanks for looking

Last edited:
bob3222.jpg

bob3177-1.jpg

bob3171-1.jpg

bob3225.jpg

bob3217.jpg

progress so far,pics show the test mould faults with one of the engine pods,the top coat of silver after being sprayed and the cockpit canopy being fitted,

thanks for looking

Very cool. But the outboard engines are too far 'outboard' aren't they? Looks odd. Very cool build. I look forward to more and an interesting topic I have nevery heard of before "test shots". Nice!!!

test shots are just that, a mould being tested before production starts most of my kits are Frog.you can find all sorts of problems with them though as the moulding are not always that good as my test mould Lancaster has shown,i'm still trying to get the shape right on and off after 3-4 months of trying ,the engines on this B47 kit are fitted as shown on the instructions plus looking at the few photos i have of the aircraft look about right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back