Basic Training.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
Basic Training took place at Jefferson Barracks- St Louis, MO. Our troop train from Kansas City, MO arrived about midnight on a Saturday. We departed KC at 10:30am and visited most sidings along the way to let other trains with higher priorities pass. On arrival a sergeant herded us through a supply depot to pick up bedding for the night. They got us up bright and early Sunday morning to stand roll call in the company street. A light drizzle was falling at the time. We were standing at attention when the sergeant yelled "Hey You". I looked to see if he was talking to me. That was the first mistake of my military career. I spent the next hour or so picking up cigarette butts in the company street soaking wet. This was a far cry from my normal routine of attending church.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Man, when I think of the "smokings" I got in basic training, I would have gladly been detailed to pick up cigarette butts.

Of course I am sure, you had much worse "punishment" back then in most cases, since I doubt they had the same rules and regulations we have today in regards to treatment of basic training soldiers.

I remember talking to a friend's dad about his basic training. He was a WW2 vet and went into Normandy just after D-day. He said what was the most difficult was in Scotland. As US troops began to pour in, where to put them was a problem. His unit was sent to Scotland and physical training was conducted daily. He said"Do you know those Scottish sergeants made us throw huge rocks back and forth between us. Those Scottish sergeants were the toughest." I said "The purpose of the sergeants is to get you ready anything you encounter". He said "It worked. We went right through those Germans. They weren't anywhere as near as tough as those Scottish sergeants".

Users who are viewing this thread