Bataan Anniversary

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BobB

Airman 1st Class
Nov 18, 2015
Georgia
I hadn't seen any news mention of the anniversary of the April 9 surrender on Bataan. You used to see at least a small notice in the papers. That made me do a Google search and I found this story of the last known Death March survivor. I remember having read that 50% of the survivors died within ten years after liberation.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen any news mention of the anniversary of the April 9 surrender on Bataan. You used to see at least a small notice in the papers. That made me do a Google search and I found this story of the last known Death March survivor. I remember having read that 50% of the survivors died within ten years after liberation.
This is a Japanese artillery shell that my Dad picked up om Corregidor/Bataan Peninsula in 1945. As close as I can measure, the brass shell mouth is 151mm. It is probably from a Type 96 "15 cm" howitzer. Interestingly, the projectile/case seal was waxed paper. There are no markings where a headstamp would normally be found.

Japanese Artillery Shell 2.jpgJapanese Artillery Shell 4.jpgJapanese Artillery Shell 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back