Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Vicers Wellington of the Polish 300 Bomber Squadron after an air raid at Bremenin in September 1942.

Wellington-300sqn-after-Bremen-raid-Sep42.jpg

A damaged Hawker Hurricane but not by the dog there. But who knows ... :lol:

Hurricane and dog.jpg

I dunno, that dog looks a bit guilty and those English Bull Terriers can be quite destructive. He might have done the Wellington as well :)

My maternal grand father had one which I remember when I was quite young. I think the best description of him (the dog not grandad) would be that he was a 'character'. He particularly enjoyed excavating large and utterly pointless holes in the garden.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I don't think Nazi Germans were tossing up dogs so high. :)

They infiltrated them onto British airfields by parachute using typically British breeds, like the English Bull Terrier. Once they'd buried their parachutes the highly trained dogs would set about any nearby aircraft :)

These dogs were often adopted by RAF personnel, even though they only responded to commands in German!

Cheers

Steve

Although Lt. Jack Taylor's mustache isn't like the Terry's one , the damages of the A-36 of the 414th RCAF Squadron, don't seem to be the battle harms. However a such cable can cause quite serious damages to all aircraft.

Lt-Jack-Taylor-414sq-RCAF-A-36.jpg

"Bet's Bet" Ford B-24H-15-FO Liberator s/n 42-52377 759th BS, 459th BG, 15th AF

MACR 4758. Damage shown was recieved on the April 25,1944 mission to bomb the Fiat aircraft factory at Turin,Italy. A Liberator from another flight was flying eratically and flew into the tail of the plane, it's propellors chewing the tail turret off and most likely killing the gunner (S/Sgt. Michael P. Maloney) instantly. The pilot (1st Lt. Donald Stevenson) managed to land safely at Corsica with no other injuries to his crew. The collision caused the other aircraft to spin out of control and crash. It is believed the crew was suffering from oxygen deprivation, causing the eratic flying.

The other aircraft:

"The Boardwalk Flyer" Ford B-24H-10-FO Liberator s/n 42-52195 759th BS, 459th BG, 15th AF
2nd Lt. Robert D. Rody - Pilot (Evaded)
2nd Lt. Glen S. Eby - CoPilot (KIA)
2nd Lt. Thomas E. Record - Navigator (KIA)
1st Lt. Louis Zaris - Bombardier (POW)
T/Sgt. Dana F. Igo - Engineer/Top Turret Gunner (KIA)
S/Sgt. Charles L. Austin - Radio Operator (KIA)
S/Sgt. Wallace R. Simpkin - Right Waist Gunner (KIA)
S/Sgt. Mathew J. Horsch - Left Waist Gunner (POW)
Sgt. Earl R. Welch - Ball Turret Gunner (Evaded)
T/Sgt. Joseph J. Degnan - Tail Gunner (KIA)

MACR 4632

b24_35_damadge.jpg

That is a classic picture I remember seeing as a kid. Interesting that it appears to show the cockpit crew trying to counteract the damage with opposite aileron. Hopeless.
The Pilot was probably trying to buy some precious seconds to allow the crew to get out before she started spinning...and the B-26 was a tough bird to handle even when it was in 100% condition :(

I agree..you can see the damage on the port wingtip is torn backwards, same with the end of the horizontal stabilizer.

It almost appears this this B-26 "pushed" past something, perhaps another stricken bomber falling out of formation?

Consolidated B-24JSH-1-FO # 42-50684 "The A G Fish Shoppe" of the 458th BG 755th BS 8th AF.
During a bombing mission over Berlin March 18, 1945, just after dumping his load of bombs from 19,000 ft, he suffered severe blows Flak: One in the GMP 3, and two in the bomb bay, fortunately emptied recently. On the engine 3, the tank, oil lines and hydraulic destroyed. The engine "greenhouse" shortly after, but without hydraulics, it is impossible to feather the propeller. In the bomb bay, hydraulic and electrical systems are destroyed.
The propeller 3, windmilling more quickly due to the breakage of the gear causes vibrations increasingly intolerable until it separates from the engine, the body indenting along a length about 3 meters. Miraculously, it avoids the cockpit and no one is seriously hurt in the front part of the plane. The good news is that the vibrations stopped. The bad news is that the motor 4 is showing signs of weakness, fails later on the way back, and that the fuel runs out too quickly due to leaks. Without hydraulics, then begin manual manoeuvres required to deploy the landing gear. Given the situation, it was decided to land just after passing the Allied lines and it is in Belgium on a small ground, the landing is performed. Just before the engine dropped 1 turn ... The plane almost poses "glider" no flaps without brakes, a short, muddy track, beyond the end of runway and stopped in a field equally muddy ... The amount of remaining fuel on board is 50 USG. The crew was recovered and returned to England four days later.

b24_39.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back