Beach defences (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dutchman

Airman
Jul 6, 2013
Does anyone have any photos of beach obsticales. I'm thinking things like "dragons teeth", I think they called them "Belgium Gates" and what not. I'd like to find out the rough size of them and if there was any pattern to the lay out of the obsticales?? Thanks for your help!

I guess I should have made myself a little more clear. In this case I'm trying to build a scale version of the obsticals. That's why I'm looking for photos of them with somekind of idea how big they would be. As well as how they would be deployed ro make sense. I understand the "hedgehogs, they seem to stand about 5 feet tall. But the LST ramps with the mine on the top are of interest as well as all the others. Thanks for your help.

What about buying a set for example 1/72nd scale and then scaling them up to the sale that you require. At a small scale they shouldn't cost the earth and so provide the information you need to scale up.

Cheers Chris

For pictures I would give flickr a try, I have found it quite useful when researching similar things. People often put obscure but interesting things up on flickr, when I was on there a short while ago I found some pictures of a rather interesting flack tower that turned out to be only a short drive away from me.

Take a look here:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=...6.0....0...1ac.1.26.img..6.6.2626.iV2bXHgDYjQ

These are images by Robert Capa, who was the photographer who took the great ones of the D-Day invasion, visible in this lot. The images show some of the defences in place and their scale compared to the soldiers. Capa was a war correspondent for Life magazine who took his camera and shot 1,000s of pictures of landing on the beach on D-Day, but a clumsy developer added too much chemical to the mix and most were destroyed, apart from a handful.

Thank you nuuuman, this site is gold!!! That should have everything I need. Thanks again!

Dutchman

Take a look here:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=...6.0....0...1ac.1.26.img..6.6.2626.iV2bXHgDYjQ

These are images by Robert Capa, who was the photographer who took the great ones of the D-Day invasion, visible in this lot. The images show some of the defences in place and their scale compared to the soldiers. Capa was a war correspondent for Life magazine who took his camera and shot 1,000s of pictures of landing on the beach on D-Day, but a clumsy developer added too much chemical to the mix and most were destroyed, apart from a handful.

Capa took 106 photos on Omaha beach, only 11 survived the developing room accident (more or less). 10 were published in Life magazine on 19th June '44.

The film was overheated in an effort to dry it more quickly, melting the emulsion and rendering the rest of the images unrecoverable.

strip1-5a_zpsa2e8054d.gif

strip6-10a_zps2a730927.gif

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back