My visit to Utah and Omaha beach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I had the time of my life going around Western France yesterday. Places I figured I would never get to see, like Carantan, Sainte-Mere-Eglise, Sainte-Marie-Du-Mont, Colleville, and the D-Day beaches, I can now say I've been there. Long drive from Antwerp, but worth every hour of it. The weather was cold and very windy, which worked out great for me as it seemed I was the only person there at times.

DSCF0602.JPG

The church tower in Sainte-Mere-Eglise. John Steele of the 505th hung there for 2 hours before being captured, but would later escape and rejoin his unit.

DSCF0615.JPG

Waco glider

DSCF0618.JPG

Preparations for the invasion

DSCF0644.JPG

This is at a restaurant at Utah beach called Le Roosevelt. Many people from D-Day have been here and signed tables and walls. I got to sit at the same table as Bill Gaurnere, Babe Heffron, and Shifty Power. Plus the daughter of Col Sink signed it too.

DSCF0651.JPG

Access to Utah Beach

DSCF0658.JPG

Omaha Beach. This memorial sits on top of a concrete anti tank emplacement.

DSCF0667.JPG

The view of Point-Du-Hoc from Omaha beach

DSCF0693.JPG

One of the many displays at the Musee Memorial d' Omaha Beach

DSCF0706.JPG

Anther display

DSCF0732.JPG

V1 at the Operation Overlord Museum

DSCF0746.JPG

American cemetery at Colleville. The ultimate place of honor and sacrifice. :salute:

Glad to see you made it, great shots. I do have some reservations about these places being made into more of a tourist attraction than places of rememberence though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back