Beaufighter Mk Ic of the RAAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

roo

Recruit
May 27, 2010
Just about to embark on the Hiplanes Beaufighter Mk Ic in 1/72.

I'm going to do it RAAF colours and have already asked in another thread for photographs.

But...some of the parts in this kit more closely resemble blobs rather than whatever it is that they're supposed to be so I'm looking to see what might be out there in the way of PE and resin parts that would suit this kit.

Also, the canopies are vacuum formed and, not having experienced the joys of this before, I'm wondering if plastic might work better - or am I just being precious?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

roo

Don't know of the 'Hiplanes' brand. I haven't seen much in the way of aftermarket parts, but then, it' not a scale i work in usually. the vac-form canopies shouldn't be a problem. Just trim them to fit, and hold in place with PVA. If you dip them in Future, small spots of CA glue can be used to fix them, then seal with PVA.
What pics do you need? I'm guessing that, being the Mk1c, it would be ETO based.

G'day AF,

No, the RAAF acquired a number of Mk Ic Beaus from Britain for service out of Australia. Because of their longer range, they were well suited to operations out of Darwin for targets in and around Timor and the like. My understanding is that they were supplied with their original camoflage as it was applied in the UK prior to their despatch down here.

Hiplanes is a local (Australian) group that produce short run kits - mainly of hard-to-get items (such as the Ic). Their quality is so-so which is to be expected of such kits.

Having a look at this one, I think I'm going to need new engines as a minimum. I'm reluctant to spend too much time worrying about the interior as it's not something that will be easy to see once the canopy is on, anyway.

Thanks for your input.

roo

Ah, gotcha. Forgot about the early exports to Oz ! I should have some pics, and maybe a profile of one or two of these. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find. Not a lot of difference externally between the 1c and 1f or VIc/f, so there shouldn't be much problem building the model. Agree about the interior - even in 1/32nd scale, only a small part of it can be seen. (see my MTO GB Beau.)

The only pics of 'early' Beaus sent to Oz I can find are a couple of the TF MkX's, sent as 'pattern' aircraft. Still got one more book to check though.

Can't be that difficult Terry, surely......:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the Australian War Memorial site has a good selection to browse.

The pic was taken in the Bulolo Valley PNG on 4 March 1942. The aircraft MK 1C A19-15 "O" of No. 30 Squadron RAAF returning to Moresby after a raid on Lae. The pilot was Flying Officer Brazenor and the navigator was Flight Sergeant Anderson.

Attachments

• beaufighter300dpic.jpg
    beaufighter300dpic.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Nice one Peter! I have a feeling that pic is in the book I haven't checked yet! Funny how it always seems to be the very last place where things you need are found!!

Thanks guys - I really do appreciate the help.

The one I'm looking at doing was based out of Darwin with 31Sq - would there have been many differences, do you think to those in NG?

I'm really surprised at how difficult it is to find pictures of these aircraft - in some ways, that's one of the reasons I chose this kit - it's not something that a lot of people will want to build.

cheers,

bj

G'day Peter,

Thanks again for the references - some worthwhile pics there.

Hopefully I can build something worthy of your efforts.

cheers,

bj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back