Bell XFM-1 Airacuda

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It had a crew of 5, it would have needed better engines , it was to heavy and slow, some bombers were faster. Below is the exit plan.
I feel sorry for the gunners... if they couldn't feather those props those guys were either going to go down with the plane or become salsa...

By the way what was that window in the nose?

Bell XFM-1 Airacuda Cockpit 1939.jpg
~ ac 336.jpg
~ ac 337.jpg
~ ac 338.jpg
32737636243_5c1962bca4_b.jpg

From what I hasve read one of the main problems was enginge cooling. The engines would quickly overheat just ideling on the tarmac. One of the photos above shows a make shift attempt to solve this problem with blowers piping air into the cowling air intakes (7th photo from the top)

From what I hasve read one of the main problems was enginge cooling. The engines would quickly overheat just ideling on the tarmac. One of the photos above shows a make shift attempt to solve this problem with blowers piping air into the cowling air intakes (7th photo from the top)

Considering all the other problems, cooling was just one more symptom of an intrinsically flawed design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back