Best 1/48 F-16 kit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hey guys

Brother's birthday next month -Recently went to Avalon airshow in Australia where he was quite impressed by the American F-16's -now seems to be in love with them

So I've decided I'm gonna build him a model in 1/48 model (as well as a F4U-1D Corsair but thats another story)

I've had a look through my LHS and found it has 2 F-16 kits -one for about 80 bucks and the other for $67

Just though I'd ask for your guys opinions on what I should buy? wanting one loaded with bombs etc

Also one last question how many JDAM's can an F-16 carry? I'd like to 'load' it up with a few

Heres the 2 Tamiya kits at my LHS

Attachments

• boxart.jpg
    boxart.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 185
  • tamiya_24_of_32.jpg
    tamiya_24_of_32.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 211
Modern-day 'paraffin budgies' aren't really my strong point, but from what I've seen of the Tamiya 1/48th scale F16's, and particularly their latest F16C/N 'Aggresor' kit, I'd say you wouldn't go far wrong with one of those Daniel.
It might not be the version you're looking for, but the pic in Tamiya's advert for the latest kit shows one of the F16's in the black and greys camouflage scheme in Alaska, as shown in a recent thread on the forum. Very nice!

I know next to nothing about modern day aircraft Terry -Its called an F-16 ,it looks cool and it carries JDAM's (the reason why I'm asking the experts here)

Just found that F-16 kit you mentioned on hobbylink and its $45USD -which is about $90 NZD although impressive compared to the $70NZD for the kit at my LHS I think Il stick with the latter

Think Il have another look and then decide -Whatever I decide Il have full build photos here as I've got about a 4 week deadline to make so hope to start soon!

Haven't got any of the Tamiya F-16's but I'd bet any one of them (all the same pretty much with minor variations I would think) is a real stunning kit. Good idea Daniel to do a quick search for any reviews to see just what each version contains.

Just did a quickie search and both those kits get excellent reviews Daniel!

Last edited:
Cheers Wayne and Catch for your imput (Wouldn't have a clue about that Catch)

:oops: Due to time constraints I've decided to ditch the F-16 and go ahead with a 1/48 F4U-1D RNZAF Corsair (spose Il put it in the GB too) Gonna either go with the Tamiya or Academy kit -most likely the Academy due to availabilty (would of done trumpter's kit but there isn't enough time to order and build a 1/32 fighter by june 10 -well me anyway :oops:)

What'da you guys reckon? Academy kit ok? or should I order the Tamiya? Thanks again guys for your opinions

TAMIYA! TAMIYA! TAMIYA! I don't think I can say that enough! :lol: It's as close to a perfect kit as you're going to get, you certainly will not regret it. It's actually the best model I've ever built for ease of assembly. It pretty much just falls together. I have no experience with the Academy model, but I can say that the Tamiya will be much better. Really worth it. Oh, and if you can't get a -1D easily, but can get a -1A, you're good to go as the only difference are the instructions (which I'll send you the -1D's in a PDF) and the decals (but that's not a concern to you).

SWEET! :D Il buy the Tamiya F4U-1A later today then!

Thanks mate! quite interested in the difference of the -1A to -1D

nz5420-f4u-1d.jpg

That'd be a cool one, with the yellow cowling. I'm not sure if that's a -1D or a -1A. It's painted DSB, but has the braced canopy. I can't see if there are the pylons under the wing roots so I can't be sure. Some late -1As were painted DSB, while some early -1Ds had the braced canopy. Very confusing! Still searching.

Ok, so what I could find was that your F4U-1Ds did NOT have the rocket pylons under the wings, while your FG-1Ds (Goodyear made -1D) DID have them. All of your -1Ds had the pylons under the wing roots.

Here's an F4U-1D:

CambridgeCorsair.jpg

It's had to see, but you can just make out the pylons underneath the wing roots, while clearly there are none of the smaller pylons on the wings themelves.

Here's an FG-1D:

glory1.jpg

You can clearly see the rocket pylons.

So basically Dan, it boils down to the plane. What plane do you plan on doing? If there are any pictures of it, please post them!

Here's a cool picture:

img.jpg

While mostly not of Corsairs, this place has some good RNZAF pictures:

Google Image Result for http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2420214098_e012acbbd4.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wondered about that one -whether its yellow or bare metal .It was recently brought up on an NZ forum and alot thought it was bare metal as most thought it odd that an RNZAF Corsair had a yellow cowling having never seen one before

Il be doing this bird ,sorry its such a small picture

Attachments

• Kiwi_Corsair_top_G.jpg
    Kiwi_Corsair_top_G.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 127
Here ya go http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/t3476/web/Kiwi_Corsair_top_G.jpg

That photo is a cool but extremely sad -its a place called "Rukuhia" Where most RNZAF Corsairs / P-40's / Ventura's etc met their end

That place is now haunted -a number of people have experienced driving round the outter road at night -a man runs alongside your car -the faster you drive the faster he runs.......

These photos kill me

Attachments

• 02-08-08-558[1].jpg
    02-08-08-558[1].jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 548[1].jpg
    548[1].jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 211[1].jpg
    211[1].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 558[1].jpg
    558[1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 1205061[1].jpg
    1205061[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 02-08-08-563[1].jpg
    02-08-08-563[1].jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 536.jpg
    536.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 129
  • furnace%20building,%20rukuhia[1].jpg
    furnace%20building,%20rukuhia[1].jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 128
Ouch. Not very good pictures :(, though the "here be treasure" gave me a chuckle.

As for your plane, it IS a -1A, and according to the info on the site it got bounced around quite a bit! I do not trust that paint scheme though, especially with it being ex-USMC. Let me look into it. I think though it'll end up being tri-colour like your instructions will show.

Cheers mate! It seems when it comes to RNZAF Corsairs schemes can vary drasticly -

I wouldn't be too surprised if the scheme's incorrect as it seems theres a few RNZAF Corsair models on the net with incorrect schemes -another one being "lil Audrey"

Do you think it should look more like this one? Note: no underwing pylons

Attachments

• f4u1air_1.jpg
    f4u1air_1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 125
  • f4u1air_5.jpg
    f4u1air_5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 131
This is cool, I found an accident report for it:

Archway :: Item Full Description

And scratch my doubting on the paint scheme. The only sources I could find has it like that. It's weird because it's an early war type scheme on a -1A, never seen that before.

EDIT:I didn't see your post cause I was posting at the time.

You know what Dan, I'd go with what you posted, because I do not trust that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back