best ASW aircraft of cold War

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The thing that shocked me was how far out you sat you were able to look straight down the only obstruction was the grate beneath your feet and your correct its the best place I've ever sat without a beer

Just thought I'd throw these in for the heck of it. I took them last summer up at CFB Greenwood. Some of you may have seen these before. They're the Argus and the Neptune from the Greenwood museum. The Neptune is actually still the property of the USN, on extended loan to the museum. As far as I'm aware, it's the only one left anywhere in Canada. As I'm sure pb is aware, examples of the Argus can still be found at a few bases across the country, like this one.

Attachments

• DSCF1559.JPG
    DSCF1559.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF1586.JPG
    DSCF1586.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF1581.JPG
    DSCF1581.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF1602.JPG
    DSCF1602.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF1594.JPG
    DSCF1594.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF1544.JPG
    DSCF1544.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1566.JPG
    DSCF1566.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF1568.JPG
    DSCF1568.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 106
Sorry folks but I feel that the Nimrod takes the biscuit. It had a range advantage over most if not all the equivalent planes in other airforces, The Nimrod also had the ability to get to a trouble spot faster than any other ASW plane and then linger on the spot, initially on two engines and later on, on one engine. This gave it a formidable endurance over the target, where it counts. Having a long endurance doesn't really help very much if you spend a large proportion of it getting to the danger spot.

People are correct in saying that its the electronic suite that makes a difference and whilst I don't know the details I would be suprised if we were behind the opposition in any significant detail. Anti Sub warfare is always a high priority

As for the bomb bay of a Nimrod, it would make a Lancaster jealous. As for missiles if anyone want to argue the point then I think its the only ASW aircraft to be fitted with air to air missiles. This bit I will need to check but it was cleared for a number of air to surface missiles, I just don't know the details re which ones.

Glider said:
Sorry folks but I feel that the Nimrod takes the biscuit. It had a range advantage over most if not all the equivalent planes in other airforces, The Nimrod also had the ability to get to a trouble spot faster than any other ASW plane and then linger on the spot, initially on two engines and later on, on one engine. This gave it a formidable endurance over the target, where it counts. Having a long endurance doesn't really help very much if you spend a large proportion of it getting to the danger spot.

People are correct in saying that its the electronic suite that makes a difference and whilst I don't know the details I would be suprised if we were behind the opposition in any significant detail. Anti Sub warfare is always a high priority

As for the bomb bay of a Nimrod, it would make a Lancaster jealous. As for missiles if anyone want to argue the point then I think its the only ASW aircraft to be fitted with air to air missiles. This bit I will need to check but it was cleared for a number of air to surface missiles, I just don't know the details re which ones.
The Nimrod takes 2nd - Although it advertises a longer over all range, it cannot loiter longer than the P-3 and it seems that it does not have as capable ASW performance as the P-3 which has dominated NATO ASW Exercises since the 1960s. Nimrods have won a few but its the P-3 that has always shown its the best ASW platform in the world....

Oh, in the 80s the P-3 got beat out a few times, by CP-140s..... ;)

i don't care what you guys say, i'm taking the nimrod, i'm more than happy sitting round for a few hours on one engine, monitoring one of the most comprihensive electronics suites in the world, knowing i've got enough packed in my bomb bay to take out anything in the seas and if i've got my AA missiles, any other large aircraft i'd meet out there.........

I would deffinately go for the nimrod aswell. Although i have not seen a cold war era fit nimrod i've been on a couple of modern ones and the electronics suite is well.... sweet. And yeah i'll second a pretty awsome weapons load too.
Although i could not tell you what its endurance is.

There has been numerous mining derby's and ASW competitions in the 1980s and the P-3 walked away with almost all of them. Granted the Nimrod does carry more ordnance, it ain't doing any good if you can't find the sub to begin with! It has more redundant avionics but these mining derby's and ASW competitions have shown that more doesn't mean better, and if an ASW fix wing aircraft has to carry defensive armament, that tells me that there is an inability to deploy a fighter CAP in support of the ASW mission, something the P-3 never had (has) to worry about when it performs it's mission. Bottom lime the P-3 does the same job with half the avionics and is still doing so. the Nimrod (like any other jet aircraft) makes a poor ASW platform because it can't loiter as long over station and has major corrosion problems because of salt water ingestion. Even now as the USN is attempting to replace the P-3 with a Boeing 737 derivative (known as the P-8 ) I doubt it will ever effectively replace the P-3 or for that reason any turbo-prop ASW platform which does the job way more effectively...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back