best ASW aircraft of cold War

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
which aircraft do you feel was best ASW aircraft from 45-70 I think the P3 would be first but what would be second best the Shackleton Argus Tracker Neptune Atlantique are some of the ones I can think of I'm partial to the Argus

As a submariner it pains me to say anything good about ASW aircraft :rolleyes: ...but the P-3 takes the cake. :cool:

For second best, I haven't got a freakin' clue. I'd guess a toss-up between the Argus and the Neptune.

Sorry chaps but haven't we forgotten the Nimrod? Speed, range plus good electronics and other sensors?

Economic disaster but excellent ASW aircraft

I admit to being only just. First entered service in Oct 69 but I think it depends on your definition of Cold War. It was pretty cold when I was in the RN in the early 70's

I have to give No1 overall to the P3 but I think the Argus would slay the Shackleton for range . endurance and payload all good qualities some which are still not surpassed in newer aircraft

Don't forget ASW capability once an aircraft is on station tracking a target they could be replaced - its the ASW suite that really makes upi the aircraft.

The CP-140 was avionics simliar to that of the S3 Viking - Very advanced for its day. (Mid 80s)

Not that this will in any way effect the outcome of the contest, but I find it interesting that out of all of the aircraft listed, only the Neptune was designed from the ground up as an ASW aircraft. The others were all conversions of passenger or cargo aircraft, or a bomber in the case of the Shackleton. Like I said, I just find that interesting. I'm easily amused that way. ;)

Nonskimmer said:
Not that this will in any way effect the outcome of the contest, but I find it interesting that out of all of the aircraft listed, only the Neptune was designed from the ground up as an ASW aircraft. The others were all conversions of passenger or cargo aircraft, or a bomber in the case of the Shackleton. Like I said, I just find that interesting. I'm easily amused that way. ;)
That it was but it was done in the WW2 era - its actually very uncomfortable, especially compared with a P-3...

I was in an Argus - it seemed that would be an easy aircraft to do a 8 hour patrol as well....

when I was OJT at comox in the mid 70s my boss made me go to Fiji and back it was a horrible experiance sitting in the glass nose no higher 500ft saw whales everything it was a wild trip I had just finished basic and then WoW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back