Best Attack Chopper

Best Attack Helicoper in service today?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know someone who worked on that program. They said it was cancelled do to the cost.

That, and the fact that it's main mission has changed; it was originally designed to be a stealthy scout helicopter, built to evade and defeat Soviet radar systems. With the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact, the requirement for a stealthy attack platform disappeared; now, our main adversaries tend to be "low-tech" terrorists and religious insurgents, so all that is needed is a "bomb truck", not a high-tech, stealthy helicopter.

The MTADS AH-64D has the best newest and best sight in the attack helicopter world.

It is not the fastest, but its combination of power, speed, firepower, durability, and loiter time make it the best attack platform in the world.

It is threatened by all MANPADS but so are all helicopters. There are new systems which help mitigate the risk but it will always be present. The other threat is its pilots over zealous personality. Because we can take so much punishment, sometimes we don't know when to take our toys and go home.

The death of the Comanche was sad but you won't see many tears in Army Aviation. Aviation kept most of the money marked for Comanche and are upgrading the AH-64D, building the UH-60M, building the CH-47F and upgrading the entire fleets aircraft survivability systems. Well almost everybody, apologies to my diminutive OH-58D friends.

Are you in the Apache community? I was a Blackhawk Crewchief for 6 years based out of Germany and did a tour to Iraq as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back