Best Attack Chopper

Best Attack Helicoper in service today?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ScOoTeR1992

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2007
right behind you
hello all i was wondering what you guys thought would be the worlds best attack helicopter mine would certainly be the Boeing/Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche so tell me your thoughts cya

Hello Scooter,

It's helpful if you mention why you like the Comanche and list some alternatives, maybe photos. It helps get the conversation going...

ok guys and i never knew that the Comanche was canceled i guess it went the way of the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne what was it to advanced or something know that i have just learnt that i guess it would be the Kamov KA-50 i chose it because I'm a big fan of the contra rotating main blades and over all it's a really potent attack chopper

Attachments

• Ka50TopView1oClock.jpg
    Ka50TopView1oClock.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 295
ok guys and i never knew that the Comanche was canceled i guess it went the way of the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne what was it to advanced or something know that i have just learnt that i guess it would be the Kamov KA-50 i chose it because I'm a big fan of the contra rotating main blades and over all it's a really potent attack chopper

It basically lost lost due to budgetary considerations. It was actually cancelled about 5 years ago; I have no idea what happened to the prototypes (Edwards? NA&SM?). The Army decided it would rather spend the money on the (non-stealthy) AH-64D Longbow, especially since there wasn't any reason to have a stealthy helicopter anymore. Too bad; looks like it would've been a pretty good attack helicopter.

Allright a Helo thread! One of my favorites!

Okay well honestly the best attack helicopter in service today in respectable numbers is the AH-64D Longbow.

Now being a Blackhawk guy I dont like the Apache and it has its faults. Once in the air however it is the premier attack helicopter in the world.

Now having said that I would take a MH-60L DAP (Direct Action Penetrator) version of the Blackhawk. It is armed with 2 M134D Mini Guns, 30mm chain gun and 2.75" rockets. It can also be armed with 16 Hellfire Missiles.

The MH_60L DAP is in service with the US Army 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment "Night Stalkers".

General characteristics
Crew: 2 (pilot weapon systems officer)
Length: 18,73 m (main rotor to tail rotor); 16.39 m fuselage ()
Rotor diameter: 15.58 m ()
Height: 5.19 m ()
Empty weight: 5,190 kg ()
Max takeoff weight: 8,750 kg (19,290 lb)
Internal fuel capacity: 1,469 kg)
Powerplant: 2× Turbomeca Makila 1K2 turboshafts, 1,716 kW (sea-level ISA) () each
Performance
Maximum speed: 309 km/h (193 mph)
Range: 700 km combat; 1,130 km ferry (440 mi / 700 mi)
Service ceiling 6,000 m (20,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 13.3 m/s (2,105 ft/min)
Disc loading: lb/ft² (kg/m²)
Power/mass: hp/lb (kW/kg)
Armament
1 x F2 20 mm cannon, 700 rounds
8 or 16 x Mokopa ZT-6 long-range anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM),
4 x MBDA Mistral air-to-air missiles,
36 or 72 x 70 mm folding fin aerial rockets (FFAR)

rooivalk1.jpg

I would have to say that the AH-64D is the greatest attack helicopter in the world today. The RAH-66 "Commanche" was 'cancelled' but I keep hearing rumours that it's not, it's just on hold.

No, I did not know that. Learn something new..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back