Best Attack Chopper

Best Attack Helicoper in service today?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The AH-56 is reported to have a top speed of 220 knots, but is this true ? I was always under the impression that the modified Westland ZB500 G-Lynx still held the world record at 217.5 knots.
I was told the Cheyenne reached about 220 knots (almost 250 mph) It was not done under controlled conditions so no recognition of it's speed was recognized. Also The configuration of its tail rotor did not qualify it as a bonafide helicopter.

I was told the Cheyenne reached about 220 knots (almost 250 mph) It was not done under controlled conditions so no recognition of it's speed was recognized. Also The configuration of its tail rotor did not qualify it as a bonafide helicopter.

This is correct; the Cheyenne not only had a conventional tail rotor to offset the torque from the main rotor, but a "pusher" rotor set at 90 degrees to the tail rotor to give it increased forward thrust. Technically, it wasn't a helicopter, but a compound helicopter, or "gyrodyne". Therefore, even if it had set a speed record, it would not have qualified for the "pure" helicopter class. Here's what it looked like:

Ah56aam.jpg

Adler, the only thing that I would love to do is to have a ride on a helicopter. There is a place here in George that does it, but they are very expensive, over R500 for 10min. That is a 1/4 of my pay!

There's a reason most of the "free" world is buying the AH-64 Apache, and it's very simple: it's the best attack helicopter in the world right now. I think Israel is a prime example of this; yes, they usually buy American, but there are no rules saying they have to. But they know (they are a very pragmatic people; they have to be when they have enemies on three sides of their country) that the best hardware in the world is (currently) made in the USA. It might be a little on the expensive side, but you get the satisfaction of knowing you're getting the best military hardware in the world.

On a further note, Boeing just recently delivered the first of 120 AH-64D Apache Longbows modernised under the extended Block II contract to the US Army at it's Mesa, Arizona facility on October 5, 2007.

i will also go with the Longbow Apache (Delta) there is no match for it it wins it hands down the Russian have the Mil-28N Night havock with a similar MMWM(Mil Meter Wave Mast ) on top it would have been a worthy compitater to the Longbow what say

I would have to go for Mi-24 Hind, because I'm a big fan of that heli( it looks cool). It is a combination of an attack and transport helicopter. This doesn't mean that I don't think that Apache or Blackhawk are bad, I like them too.

Attachments

• Mi24CP.jpg
    Mi24CP.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Mi-24_Macedonian.jpg
    Mi-24_Macedonian.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 125
I dont think the Mi-28 would even come close to the AH-64D.

Why?

From my experience working with Russian aviation in Kosovo, there is no standardized maintenance and there is no money to buy spare parts. The Hinds there barely flew. We were even put on a restriction from flying in there aircraft because of the shotty maintenance.

I would have to go for Mi-24 Hind, because I'm a big fan of that heli( it looks cool). It is a combination of an attack and transport helicopter. This doesn't mean that I don't think that Apache or Blackhawk are bad, I like them too.

That is what makes the Hind a bad attack helicopter. It is a great aircraft but it is too big for an attack aircraft.

The Apache is small and can make its way through rough terrain at low altitudes. When it finds its targets it can stay below the tree line or the hill tops and not be seen because all that is exposed is the mast on top. It pops up and fires its missiles and then drops below the hill top.

The Hind has to expose itself in order to aquire and engage targets. It is also a large target to shoot at with a very large front profile as well as a large side profile.

Agreed the Profile problem and size are the Hind's 2 major problems this was shown amply in the 1980's in the Afghan campaing the Mil-25 Hind A's dominated the skys that is un till the Arrival of the Stinger SAM's and the Afghans were killing the Hinds to fast

I voted for the Apache.
Its a proven design and the most modern thing we have right now (until the Comanche becomes operational).
Anyway, its about the most menecing thing I've ever seen!

A close second would be the Cobra, if only for the fact that it never seems to die.
40+ years of service is a helluva record for ANYTHING!

Elvis

Maybe so, but one raghead with a Stinger will take 'em down, every time.
Watched it quite often during the Afghani war with Russia in the late 70's.

Elvis

(until the Comanche becomes operational).
A

Elvis

The Comanche will not become operational. It was cancelled several years ago.

Maybe so, but one raghead with a Stinger will take 'em down, every time.
Watched it quite often during the Afghani war with Russia in the late 70's.

Elvis

And one enemy with a SA-7, SA-14, SA-16 or SA-18 will take out an Apache real quick as well.

I have seen it first hand and rescued the crews after it happened.

Oh and please dont use the word raghead either...

both AH-64 and Mi-28N are great helicopters and I believe their performance is pretty comparable from the pure technical point of view, but I'll go with AH-64 just because of it's combat record .
But I think that in the case of the classic Cold War scenario in Europe each one of them would be the same cannon fodder as its counterpart

The MTADS AH-64D has the best newest and best sight in the attack helicopter world.

It is not the fastest, but its combination of power, speed, firepower, durability, and loiter time make it the best attack platform in the world.

It is threatened by all MANPADS but so are all helicopters. There are new systems which help mitigate the risk but it will always be present. The other threat is its pilots over zealous personality. Because we can take so much punishment, sometimes we don't know when to take our toys and go home.

The death of the Comanche was sad but you won't see many tears in Army Aviation. Aviation kept most of the money marked for Comanche and are upgrading the AH-64D, building the UH-60M, building the CH-47F and upgrading the entire fleets aircraft survivability systems. Well almost everybody, apologies to my diminutive OH-58D friends.

I would have to say that the AH-64D is the greatest attack helicopter in the world today. The RAH-66 "Commanche" was 'cancelled' but I keep hearing rumours that it's not, it's just on hold.

I know someone who worked on that program. They said it was cancelled do to the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back