Best Bomber of WW2 -- #3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOOD MAN!!! You will be tested periodically...

Just a side note - during the war when these charts were used many times an extra 30 to 45 minutes were also factored in (formation assembly, weather, fighter and flak, etc.)

when these charts were drawn up the climbing chart factored into account the formation (what little of it the british did) but the lancs were limited to 5 minutes "combat" like they're gonna say during an attack "well skipper that's our 5 minutes up"

and the british used the general figure of 1 gallon of 100 octane weighed 7.2lbs...........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
and the british used the general figure of 1 gallon of 100 octane weighed 7.2lbs...........

Hmmm - Avgas (100-130 or 100-130LL) weight is calculated at 6 pounds per gallon; Jet A (jet fuel) at 6.84 pounds per gallon. The weights are accepted averages based on specific gravity and other variables, such as temperature and additives due to climate.

Maybe it states that for some lee-way ... it's like setting your watch fast, so you're never late.

well the manual states that the ground crews should assume the figure 7.2lbs per gallon of 100 octane.........

Don't know where they came up with that - I know today 6 pounds per gallon is internationally accepted - Imperial Gallon vs a US gallon is my guess?!?

FLYBOYJ said:
Don't know where they came up with that - I know today 6 pounds per gallon is internationally accepted - Imperial Gallon vs a US gallon is my guess?!?

1 Imp gal = 1.55l = 1.2 US gal
1 U.S. gallon = 0.833 Imp gal

6lb / .833 = 7.2lb

oh great, a conversion site, that'll help the best bomber threat along
Sure, we could convert miles to Kilometers, Kilograms to pounds, gallons to liters (US Gallons and Imp. Gallons) WHAT FUN!

This will give you great practice for reading those performance charts Lanc!

Actually, should we go to the best Medium Bomber now?!?

well medium bomber's too broad, what about just saying twin engined bomber? cos otherwise where does the mossie go? although in saying that i think we do need some way to separate the strategic bombers (wellingtons, He-111s) from the attack bombers.......

Agree - We'll have to make 2 categories - strategic medium and attack medium, although you may have some cross over (B-25 for example)

i'm more worried about the mossie, the RAF used her in so many bombing roles but she was classed as a fast bomber, which really could mean either.........

but that's the thing she was sued to some extent as both

In my mind using a bomber (any bomber) strategically means you have a long term plan for a continual mission (the bombing of German industry and military installations) based on an attack doctrine (high altitude precision bombing, night area saturation bombing, etc.) Tactical in my mind means a plan or "tactic" tailored for a short term plan (targets of opportunity, support of moving troops etc.) or a special operation, bombing of heavy water plants, the attack on the prison at Amiens, etc. Make sense?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread