Best Bomber of WW2 -- #3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lancaster seems to be more maneuvrable (corkscrew) and has a larger bombload, the B17 seems to have an extremely tough airframe and tough radial engines, and is better armed

So they seem about equal

yes but what's the point in getting there, if you're gonna do barely any damage??

yes, the lanc couldn't take as much damage as a B-17, but she'd take you further, slightly faster and she'd cause more damage! and if you think all them defensive guns made her invincible, you're wrong

The planes have to return after the raid to. I heard on 1 documentary so I take it with some skepticizum, that the worst loss of the Lanc was 103 planes one mission and the B-17 was 60 on 1 mission.

One thing though at night the target could not be located so area bombing of infrastructure was the focus. During the day the targets could be identified and strategic targets could be hit. Bombing in general had other problems to:
1. Bomb drift, Todays bombs are only capable of 6mil accuracy or +/-6ft per thousand feet dropped. At 22,000ft thats 120ft in any direction. WWII bombs were much worse.
2. Variable drift from winds.
3. Bombsight/Bombadier accuracy.
4. Mass drops, All bombs in a group were dropped at the same time as the leader so any error in the lead drop was magnafied by the relative position of the bombers in a group.

Thr resources available would not support both RAF and AAF bombers flying either night or day missions together.

My questions are
a. which was more effective in destroying a specific target, Night mass bombings or Daylite Strategic bombing.
b. Which aircraft/strategy was more productive towards ending the war.
c. What would have been the best way to utilize both aircraft in ending the war.

wmaxt

I think both were used effectively and with good reason. Having the RAF bomb at night and the AAF by day made the raids round the clock, thereby denying any respite to bombings. Daylight bombing with the technology of the day was better for specific accuracy, but it was far from perfect. For specific, pinpoint targets, the Mosquito was the plane for that time. HIgh altitude heavies, day or night, were more area bombings.

In general thats how I feel though I don't think area bombing of civilian areas ever ammounted to a signifigant strategic advantage. Bombing civilians really made people suffer, and get madder but the effect was far less benifical than the effort warrented. I feel this is true weather it was Britain, Germany or Japan getting hit.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
The planes have to return after the raid to. I heard on 1 documentary so I take it with some skepticizum, that the worst loss of the Lanc was 103 planes one mission and the B-17 was 60 on 1 mission.

Out of how many that set out?

I don't believe 103 were lost on one mission. I think the highest loss percentage on any mission was something like 17%. I'll go find the exact number later on. The Mosquito had the lowest overall loss percentage for any bomber.

The fact is between B-17 and Lancaster, the Lancaster will take more, faster and with less crew. The B-17 is rugged but they'll still get shot up and the defensive armament doesn't save the bomber. That is also why I think the B-24 was better than the B-17.

and i thought this was solely for heavy bombers?? that's why i aint got the mossie in my list, besides, she's in a class of her own...........

and, before you all start to doubt the value of the bombing, read this:

i believe they make some very good points.............

and the greatest lancaster losses for a single raid were, i believe, 66 lost with 2 crashing on their return out of a total of 572 sorties (a loss rate of 11.5%) to Nuremberg on the night of 30/31 March 1944...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread