Best Bomber of ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hot Space said:
I guess this is the best way of putting this:

Lancaster - Best Pay Load.

B24 - Best Range.

B-29 - Best Speed and Armament.

B-17 - The Stongest of all, by far.

Hot Space

The last bombing mission of WWII from Guam to the for side of Japan on the night of 13/14 August 1945 the B-29's were reported to have carried 16,000lb bomb loads 5,800 miles (round trip) that is an incredible load/range combo that nothing else could touch in WWII.

I found out recently (a documentary no less) that the B-29 was a 3 billion dollar program that exceeded the Manhatten project tn both scale and scope. :!:

Nonskimmer said:
:shock: Why? I mean, it was surely advanced for it's day but it was a fairly conventional design, wasn't it?

Actuly the B-29 was a great leap. In one jump it raised the average payload from around 5,000lbs (the Lanc had an extream payload for early-mid WWII designs) to 20,000, increased range with that payload by 2x to 5,000mi, increasedaltitude to over 30,000ft, airspeed bu 100mi, added pressurisation for crew support and added remote fire control to better control the weponry. Some of these were firsts for Any production plane!

It was so advanced that Stalin made reverse engineering the B-29 a national priority for two years after 3 were interned in 1945.

I think we're all forgetting the most majestic of bombers ;)

Attachments

• tb-3.jpeg
    tb-3.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 665
that's a still taken from a video clip showing russain paratroopers, they had to climb out onto the wing holding onto a rope, then just let go, i think it was because it was too dangerous to just jump out the door :lol:

cheddar cheese said:
The TB-3 is an open topped plane. My guess is theyre actually on the wing

In thr picture I saw had a large group clustered (frozen?) on the wing. I don't know if there were any inside or not.

B-29 would ultimately carry a weight (up to 2 Grand Slams) or greater power (Fat Man, Little Boy) than the Lancaster. By war and away the B-29 was the best bomber.

It's technological jumps also included the very complex remote sighting system and pressurization. In terms of performance or technology, nothing else from the war could touch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back