Best dive bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What about the Ju 88 or Dornier Do 217. They where also used as a dive bomber to, even that they weren't designate mainly as a dive bomber.
Sweden also designed a good Dive bomber, The SAAB B 17 who also introduced a new aim device for dive bomber, the "bombsikte 42" that made possible to dive on the target whit an angle of 20-60 degrees instead of 80 degree an still do a better results than the old way. this device become the forerunner for those new generation aim device for dive bombing. So whit that system the B 17 might possible outclass all those classical dive bomber.

The P-47 wasn't a dive-bomber , it was a fighter used as a ground attack aircraft. The A-36 truly was a dive-bomber , and could fly fast into combat and fast out of it . It's only disadvantage was the liquid-cooled engine , other than that it's quite clearly superior to the Stuka , especially in survivability terms.

Grampa said:
What about the Ju 88 or Dornier Do 217. They where also used as a dive bomber to, even that they weren't designate mainly as a dive bomber.
Sweden also designed a good Dive bomber, The SAAB B 17 who also introduced a new aim device for dive bomber, the "bombsikte 42" that made possible to dive on the target whit an angle of 20-60 degrees instead of 80 degree an still do a better results than the old way. this device become the forerunner for those new generation aim device for dive bombing. So whit that system the B 17 might possible outclass all those classical dive bomber.

I saw a program about this aircraft - very interesting indeed.

Hard to evaluate its actual performance since it never saw sustained combat....

I Wonder if it possible whit the help of the "bombsikte m/42" to turn the Lancaster MK I (special version) that carried the 10 ton grand slam in to a dive bomber. wouldn't that be something?

The skyraider fought all the way up to the middle 70's, emnding its career in SE Asia.

I think the last active skyraider squadrons were with the USN till the late 70's.

Did the axis and allied had a difference tactical way of attacking their targets? And did they had some sort of aim-device like the one Sweden made for the SAAB B-17 and B-18?

Grampa said:
I Wonder if it possible whit the help of the "bombsikte m/42" to turn the Lancaster MK I (special version) that carried the 10 ton grand slam in to a dive bomber. wouldn't that be something?

the british're accurate enough thank you very much ;)

lesofprimus said:
I think it was the end of fiscal year 1978 sys....

I think you're right Dan -

I remember hearing someone say one reason why it was retired was because the Navy wanted to get away from 100 octaine aviation fuels on carriers...

If it was cost effective to put a turbine engine on it still might be flying!

Flyboy, back in 1990 (or so) at the short lived Hawthorne airshow, there was a Skyraider flying around that gave us a dive bombing demonstration. The pilot took her up to 5000 feet and "dropped" in on us at very sharp angle (I figured almost 90 degrees). That was one interesting stunt.

syscom3 said:
Flyboy, back in 1990 (or so) at the short lived Hawthorne airshow, there was a Skyraider flying around that gave us a dive bombing demonstration. The pilot took her up to 5000 feet and "dropped" in on us at very sharp angle (I figured almost 90 degrees). That was one interesting stunt.
That was SKYRAIDER BOB!!!
Here's some pictures i took with him last year.

In the formation one my brother in law is riding in the T-28 right behind him....

Attachments

• form_952_125.jpg
    form_952_125.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 67
  • skyraider_bob_105.jpg
    skyraider_bob_105.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back