Best german Jet

• Arado Ar 234"Blitz"

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Messerschmit Me 262"Schwalbe"

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • He 162

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ScOoTeR1992

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2007
right behind you
hello all your friend here again, now out of these which jet would be the best all round even though i dont think the Ba 349 actually did see combat.

Bachem Ba 349 "Natter"
Messerschmitt Me 262 "Schwalbe"
or
Arado Ar 234"Blitz"

I don't think this is much of a discussion here, but to answer your question......the 262 by far. The Ar234 had great potential, but the fact is, except for a small number of bombing missions, it really didn't do much, other than recon flights. Had the 234 received the same amount of combat time as the 262, then my answer my have been different.

The Bachem Ba 349 "Natter" was a rocket plane, if one could even call it a plane.

Bachem Ba 349 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Better if you had the He162 in the list.

Yeah, ScOoTeR, you might wanna add the He-162 to the list, make it more competetive (though I still think the -262's gonna win).

And, if wanna get real creative, add the Go 229 to the list; after all, you did say "would be".

The Go-229 already flew in 44, although without armament. The armed V3 was completely ready to fly when captured though, but it was slightly disassembled to be transported away from the Allies.

Final V2.
go229-1.jpg

go229gt2.jpg

V3 when captured:
go229v3bc5.jpg

The Me-262 still wins though, being allot more stable in the air and being able to fly on one engine. On one engine the Go-229 became uncontrollable, the wing brakes not being able to balance out the assymmetrical thrust.

The cool thing about the Go-229 though was that it was undetectable for the radar of the time.

Please use the correct designation Ho 229. Gotha was just the (license) manufacturer but not the designer thus Ho prefix was used.

Technically, you are correct; the Horten brothers designed the original "flying wing" gliders, which lead to powered versions of their flying wing designs. However, if the Ho 229 had gone into production, it most likely would've been designated the Go 229.

Hi Denniss,

>Please use the correct designation Ho 229. Gotha was just the (license) manufacturer but not the designer thus Ho prefix was used.

Hm, I've read about this too, but can it be proven? The Messerschmitt Me 163 was not designed by Willy Messerschmitt either, and yet it was not named for Lippisch.

(You might well be right, I'm just asking because I'd like to be perfectly certain about the issue.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Me262 wins without any doubt although like SoD Stitch and AL Schlageter said He-162 had to have its place in the list.

Well this whole poll is a bit botched I guess.

As other pointed out the Natter was not a Jet aircraft.

You cant really compare the Blitz the the Me 262 as they had comletely different roles but atlest it was a jet. 8)

The only other plane that I think you could put in the list would be the He 162. I dont think you can include the Ho 229 because it never became operational. It is a prototype aircraft.

Hi Denniss,

>Please use the correct designation Ho 229. Gotha was just the (license) manufacturer but not the designer thus Ho prefix was used.

Hm, I've read about this too, but can it be proven? The Messerschmitt Me 163 was not designed by Willy Messerschmitt either, and yet it was not named for Lippisch.

(You might well be right, I'm just asking because I'd like to be perfectly certain about the issue.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Lippisch worked for Messerschmitt (at least since early 1939), if the Me 163 would have been built in 1944/45 then it would have become a Lippisch designation. AFAIK the Horton brothers were never Gotha employees, they just used their facilities for further development and production.
If you look at all those aircraft projects of 1944/1945 the RLM tended to give the designers more credit for these types. Ta instead of Fw for the Ta 152/154, Hü for the high-alt He 219 (Hü 211) and others.

262 in this case though the Ar 234 was the better recon unit. As a bomber both were a bit lame. As a night fighter the 262 excelled maybe more than any other LW type but too late to make a real difference the Ar 234 had the possibilities if the nose are had been strengthene and of course covered with protective metal for the pilot, it was streamlined enough in the newer configs so it may have been quite suitable

I say the Me-262, however I noticed that no one here brought up the Ju-287. I think as far as design goes, it was just as innovative as the Me-262. Think of the X-29 and the Su-47.

Hi Denniss,

>If you look at all those aircraft projects of 1944/1945 the RLM tended to give the designers more credit for these types. Ta instead of Fw for the Ta 152/154, Hü for the high-alt He 219 (Hü 211) and others.

Hm, this appears logical, but it's no final proof. There are many examples of aircraft being named for the companies that built them in that time period, too.

I had hoped that there would be something like an old document showing the Ho designation ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back